Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 2 months

Brightspark180, 

Well done!  I just missed out (out bid), on the next sequential modified number to your latest acquisition on the 'evil one' yesterday!!!  : (

Your handle was fitted to the F4, F6, FR10, GA11, F50, F51, F56, F57, F58 and F59. 

GYD

Member for

7 years 10 months

Thanks Ian and GYD, for the info. Three different Hunter grips now in thee collection, still more to get! 

Member for

13 years 2 months

Brightspark180,

Indeed, another 16 to be exact!

GYD

Member for

16 years 6 months

I’ve recently acquired a used Scimitar stick top, but would I be right in thinking that it is missing a brake lever?!

Attachments

Member for

13 years 2 months

Hi Rob, 

No, the Scimitar had 'toe' operated brakes.  I have a full column in the garage, somewhere!

Martyn

GYD

Member for

16 years 6 months

Ahh that’s good news - thanks Martyn.

Member for

16 years 6 months

That’s awesome. Any idea as to which Scimitar it came from?

Member for

13 years 2 months

No idea unfortunately! 

GYD

Member for

6 years 3 months

Hello everybody!

The copy is almost ready, with the exception of some elements

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

Lovely work. Have you managed to make the moulds for casting copies? I had a few resin copies of a Meteor grip. They had been made for science fiction film props, but the detail was superb. Also pictured is a possible addition to the collection, an A-4 Skyhawk stick. It has been posted, but has sat in San Francisco for a couple of weeks now.

Attachments

Member for

7 years 2 months

Hi Alex, do you know why the Tu160 grip had an adjustable hand rest? It's not something I've seen on any other grip.

Member for

6 years 3 months

Thanks Ian, I wrote a little earlier that I made a mold from silicone, it can be seen in the photo.  This is a silicone cast from the original stick.

Attachments

Member for

6 years 3 months

Hi Martyn!
Many sticks have an adjustable palm rest, including the Tu-160.  It is regulated so that the pilot can keep a glove or without a glove.  And of course it all depends on the physiology of the palm, it can be big like a shovel (like mine) or small (like my daughter's)

Attachments

Member for

6 years 3 months

Two sticks returned after restoration to the cockpit!  Now I will think how to make a rubber boot

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

Those are very solid mounts for the sticks. Could you find similar boots for a car or truck? There must be something similar. 

Member for

6 years 3 months

unfortunately, searches do not yield results))) very specific shape and size

Now I am trying to print flexible plastic.  in the photo the first test

Attachments

Member for

13 years 2 months

Top work Alex, well done!  Thank you for the photos.

GYD

Member for

7 years 10 months

Latest addition Spade Grip AH 9846, Hawker Sea Fury, Fairy Firefly? Not sure!! Any info would be much appreciated.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Hi Brightspark180,

I have a Sea Fury FB-11 Dunlop Mk-2 handle numbered AH 8490.  It is exactly the same but, it has a slightly different version of the 'Selectric' weapon switch to your example.  Therefore this change/upgrade of this switch, would normally necessitate a change in the Dunlop drawing number to your AH 9846 accordingly.  This was normal practice at Dunlop; to issue 'upgraded/modified' handles with different sequential drawing numbers.  Just look at the 30 or so different Wessex handles produced!

The 'press to transmit' button was fitted to the throttle on the FB-10 so, I would be inclined to say that it is indeed a Sea Fury FB-11.  As far as I am aware, the Firefly was fitted with a Dunlop Mk-1 ring handle AH 8272 but, I have been offered a Mk 2 handle that was supposedly fitted to the AS-6 Firefly.  It too,  appears exactly the same but, has the word 'guns' deleted from the firing switch.  Unfortunately, I have not found any photographic evidence to substantiate the Mk-2 handle actually being fitted to the Firefly but, if anyone else can provide this information, I for one would be very interested to see!!! 

Good catch, well done!

GYD 

Attachments