Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 3 months

The wrist relief was removed to avoid knee capping in an ejection, apparently. Some Russian grips have the wrist relief hinged. Wrist relief sounds a bit wrong I guess....too many connotations with 'happy endings!'

Member for

13 years 2 months

Hi Tony,

Indeed you are quite correct regarding the Russian grips having hinged wrist supports, my Mig25 stick aptly demonstrate this anti-knee capping device!

Martyn
GYD

Member for

16 years 11 months

That's a fulsome collection of F4 grips Martyn. Anti kneecapping here on Mig 21UM. Front and back seats. Previously belonged to Flt Lt Harmer who had spent a bit of time in the Eastern Bloc judging by his personal effects which were turned out onto ebay. Sad.
The bottom half of your plastic KG12 finished up on the Mi15 grip, Tony. Shame to waste it! Would love a B52 yoke and yours is in such lovely condition. Always helps id when the name is in big letters across the front, too.
Flightpath, is that Harrier stick via Spitfire Spares? I used to lust after that one despite it's Heath Robinson appearance. The Sidewinder mod, explained to me on this very forum, made a much more attractive grip. It also nudged Dunlop out in favour of Dowty.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 3 months

A few close-ups of a typical KG 13A; this one has hand-painted external marks in red (e.g., wiring circuit and button identifiers), now faint, that link it to a Bf 109.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 7 months

Hi ian,

yes, that's where I found it, I don't have a big budget but love Harriers so when I saw it I sold a few things to get it. Despite all the grips shown here there's few that come from known idividual aircraft. An ex-RAF engineer friend had two flights in XW268 when he was with 1 squadron in august 1984.

Nice to know XW268 is being looked after and worked on at Norwich!

cheers from Norway.

-John

Member for

19 years 3 months

To directly compare with Steve's KG13, here is a KG12 - complete with 'kill marks'

Attachments

Member for

13 years 2 months

Hi Tony,

What is the function/purpose of that 'coolie hat' shaped object on the terminal box/cover?

Martyn

Member for

19 years 3 months

I believe it is an Emil E4 stick so may be for fusing the bomb? Steve will likely know more on this.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Cheers for that, hopefully Steve can shed more light on it then? Lovely grip by the way!

Martyn
GYD

Member for

19 years 3 months

Thanx Martyn....it is my fav Lufty grip....I bought it in 1990 at a Christies auction. Wish I knew its history with the 5 kill marks.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Christies! That can't have been pocket money prices. Nice pics, the finish on your KG12 is lovely, even if it has been nibbled by a shark:diablo:
My Gr1/3 Harrier stick was bought without history but had a bit of paper stuffed up the shaft with 'front cockpit, XW925'. Unfortunately a 1989 fatality where the pilot ejected low and hit the ground. It may have been replaced prior to that as it doesn't appear to have come out of a crash, or the river the Harrier finished up in.

Member for

13 years 6 months

POST 68
The knob will probably be FL32324, and on a BF109E was fitted to the
lower panel, its purpose was act as an electrical cut-out for the armament.
Its possible that on a later E, that it could have been moved or used in
conjunction with the bomb panel .We may never know.
Most had NULLSCHUB KNOPF (zero fire/shot)painted next to it.
Tony you a one lucky fella!
Cheers Mike

Member for

17 years

Here's the 2 on my wall, an F4 rear seat stick and a Mig 21. Also a pic of one of several sold to me as being from a French Mirage, previous discussion has led to its possible identity as being Mirage IV rear cockpit radar controller but does anyone have a definitive answer.

Rocketeer - love that B52 yoke!

If anyone has access to Soviet stuff I would love to hear from you, even it is just buttons and such.

Paul

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/jaguar977/DSC00485_zpseb0b6fed.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/jaguar977/DSC00486_zps12025851.jpg

Member for

13 years 2 months

Christies! That can't have been pocket money prices. Nice pics, the finish on your KG12 is lovely, even if it has been nibbled by a shark:diablo:
My Gr1/3 Harrier stick was bought without history but had a bit of paper stuffed up the shaft with 'front cockpit, XW925'. Unfortunately a 1989 fatality where the pilot ejected low and hit the ground. It may have been replaced prior to that as it doesn't appear to have come out of a crash, or the river the Harrier finished up in.

Hi Ian,

I was at Gut at the time of this crash and can vividly remember the remains of the aircraft in/on the river, (the peri-track ran right past it), after it was recovered, then it being spread out in planform, inside one of the hangars pending the investigation, very sombre I must say.

From what I can recollect, the aircraft was lost due apparently, to running out of de-min water in the hovver, well that was the story at the time, I haven't seen the actual report! However, the cockpit did not end up in the river, just the tail end, upside down! The 'back-seater' was an Army Air Corps pilot on a jolly, but unfortunately, the pilot ejected outside the operating envelope of the seat with tragic results, very sad.

Which one of the two sticks is the one attributed to 925? I have a picture of the crash but, I can't scan it cos no.1 son has taken the scanner to uni !!

Martyn

GYD

Member for

13 years 2 months

POST 68
The knob will probably be FL32324, and on a BF109E was fitted to the
lower panel, its purpose was act as an electrical cut-out for the armament.
Its possible that on a later E, that it could have been moved or used in
conjunction with the bomb panel .We may never know.
Most had NULLSCHUB KNOPF (zero fire/shot)painted next to it.
Tony you a one lucky fella!
Cheers Mike

Cheers Mike!

Interesting, were they used in other applications?

Martyn

GYD

Member for

19 years 10 months

A few more from my collection to hopefully add some interest, the first two pictures (front and back) are of a Dassault Flamant, this was a French Airforce utility / transport aircraft of the 1950's (similar role to the Anson etc). What's interesting about this yoke is that it has a cannon/gun button fitted. Some Flamant's were converted to ground attack aircraft and saw action with the French during the war in Algeria, I presume this yoke is such an example.

Next one (third picture) sticking with the French airforce theme is a Nord Atlas, French twin transport aircraft. It's performance made a great impression with me and no doubt to others when I saw it display some years back at the classic Coventry airshow.

Fourth picture nearer to home is a Shorts Belfast could easily be mistaken for a set of motorcycle bar handles.

The fifth picture which I have uploaded before on this forum is reputed to be from the Shorts Stirling half scale prototype (code M4).

Last and sixth picture is a trip over the pond to America for the yoke from a Grumman Albatross flying boat.

I tend to prefer vintage airliner yokes and time permitting may upload some of these, always on the look out to swap some of my yokes if anyone has any vintage civilian airliner yokes.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Here's the 2 on my wall, an F4 rear seat stick and a Mig 21. Also a pic of one of several sold to me as being from a French Mirage, previous discussion has led to its possible identity as being Mirage IV rear cockpit radar controller but does anyone have a definitive answer.

Rocketeer - love that B52 yoke!

If anyone has access to Soviet stuff I would love to hear from you, even it is just buttons and such.

Paul

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/jaguar977/DSC00485_zpseb0b6fed.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/jaguar977/DSC00486_zps12025851.jpg

Hi Paul,

good to see some 'sticky' input from down under! I'm still working on 'She who must be obeyed' to mount some of my pride and joys on the living room wall, not having much success, top marks to you!

Given the look/design of your 'French grip' it appears (to me at least), more of a radar control rather than a flight control given that it has no mechanical linkage apparent and the rather delicate stem/base of the grip. It certainly looks French in design though. Nice piece all the same, never seen one this (cold) end of the globe!

Cheers,

Martyn
GYD

Member for

19 years 3 months

Nice yokes there!

Here is what I believe to be an Iskra stick - bit outside my interest so if anyone has a swapsie!!

Attachments

Member for

19 years 3 months

To round off Douglas extendable sticks, here is my Skyhawk column extended

Attachments

Member for

13 years 2 months

Nice yokes there!

Here is what I believe to be an Iskra stick - bit outside my interest so if anyone has a swapsie!!

I suppose you would be looking for something that perhaps has one of those whirley-whirley wierdy things at the front end for a swapsie, perchance?

Martyn