Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 10 months

Lots of interesting things here, thanks all for posting. Martyn, that must have been a difficult time for everyone. The XW925 stick is the right hand, non Sidewinder one. I found an abridged version of the accident report (odd coincidence, wasn't looking) which gave a thorough account and a cover photo of the remains being pulled out of the river. You are right on the lack of injection, and I think atmospheric conditions, causing the accident.
The A4 Column is impressive, Tony. Must have banged around in the cockpit with the extra length. Carry on Topgun anyone?
Nice yokes FlyBuy, very exotic. That Flamant example is interesting. Weapons delivery systems for Algeria? hopefully not something we'll see again too soon.
By way of swaps, I picked up a Skyship/blimp yoke a while back which falls outside the rather loose remit of my collection (anything military at a low enough price) and is thus spare.
On the French military side, here's a C17 stick as seen carting their equipment around Africa and a Lockheed Viking one which looks nice. The last is a quiz which fooled me a couple of years ago, I never knew they existed.
In the same way I used to paw over the Airfix catalogue ticking off the aircraft I'd got and want, I now thumb 'Cockpits of the Cold War' with similar ambitions. I feel I am not alone!

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

Mig 29 stick

I have posted this before but will redo it as I am really keen on this stick from a Serbian Air Force Mig 29, tail number 18114.

On the 26th March 1999 2 Mig 29's flown by Major Peric in 18114 and Captain Radosavljevic in 18113 were shot down over Bosnia by Captain Hwang a USANG pilot flying a F-15C. Peric ejected and survived however Radosavljevic was killed.

Perics aircraft crashed largely intact and many pieces of it were souvenired, the parts I have are the remains of the control column which was severely damaged with most of the grip portion broken off and one of the missile fins. I only have a very small photo of the stick remains in situ so if anyone has one I would be very keen to hear from you.

Paul

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/jaguar977/DSC00487_zps3b13bc4b.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/jaguar977/DSC00488_zpsc3045a56.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26/jaguar977/mig29bosnia7_zpsa02bbb0a.jpg

Member for

15 years 2 months

One wonders what Freud would have made of this thread?

Member for

19 years 2 months

anything of interest/WHY would be nice Martyn!

Ian, I have just bought one of those quiz items old chap! So it would be unfair for me to identify it! Suffice to say, they have a nioce plate on them! Where did you get yours?

Paul, nice Mig29 stick.....I had the one from the 'burner' Mig29 that came down at Fairford in my hands - could not persuade the chap to part with it! Mores the pity.

Chits old chap....Freud would rightly deduce that I am MMMMMMMMM..MMM...mad sir and 'we have lumps of it round the back!'
(Name that film!!)

Member for

19 years 2 months

sadly sold both of my F-4 Phantom stick tops - early plus a HOTAS one

my early phantom one was almost identical to the sabre one

now i have a nice classy Beech 18/AT-11 control yoke plus the 2 fitted in my beech 18

cool

Member for

16 years 10 months

One wonders what Freud would have made of this thread?

I keep wanting to put them into cupboards, then take them out again...:rolleyes:

Member for

17 years 6 months

...'we have lumps of it round the back!' (Name that film!!)

Life of Brian! :D

Must dig out my one-and-only stick-top.....this is obviously the place to get it identified!

Member for

16 years 10 months

That is a nice pair of Mig bits, Paul. History makes the items, even if a slightly grisly history. I remember visiting the Falklands exhibition at Yeovilton and being very impressed with the relics, especially the back end of a Sidewinder with the gyro wheels on the fins. Bought a fin in the end! I also nagged my aunt into taking me around a couple of the Falkland veteran FRS1 crash sites whilst she looked for the mouldy burned out ash piles which remained of the blitz Heinkels in the South West. Pics to follow.
Tony, the grip came from the States. Cheap to buy, anything but to post. Looking at the prices B6s go for now though, not a bad investment. It makes a cool noise when you move it, too. I've often wondered (really!) what happened to the sticks out of the Fairford Migs.

Member for

19 years 2 months

The Mig29 grip I held from Fairford looked like Pauls! i.e. no top

Member for

13 years 1 month

Good evening all,

Ian, you are probably right regarding the ‘upgrade’ concerning 925’s column as I am sure most if not all the Harrier’s at Gut went through the Sidewinder mod however, I am of course open to correction to the more knowledgeable Harrier buffs!
Is your ‘mystery’ item the Bombardier’s auto pilot/flight control unit from a B17? (possibly, others too)

Tony, what would you consider for something to swap? I would love to increase my Soviet collection!

I remember watching the Fairford Mig29’s from the opposite end of the airfield, I was reloading film in my camera at the time not particularly interested as one had done a display earlier in the day. I remember that they followed an Aussie ‘Swinger’ and they did the impressive ‘torch’ flyby. I was impressed as I didn’t think a Mig 29 could do that trick as well! It was only after the huge cloud of smoke, a single ‘raspberry ripple’ chute and what seemed an awful long time before the second shute appeared, did I think to actually take any pictures!

My next offering: can anyone put an aircraft to this ‘different’ B8 grip?

Martyn

GYD

Attachments

Member for

19 years 2 months

Pm sent Martyn!

Member for

16 years 10 months

Near enough martyn, it says 'auto pilot formation stick' on the box and sat at the pilot's elbow,presumably to avoid the effort of reaching as far as the wheel. Thanks for the confirmation on the harrier stick,makes me look on it more fondly. Not sure about your B8, guess would be chopper as looks to go on a stick not a plug. Is it a two or four way trim hat? Two way could mean hoist?

Member for

13 years 1 month

Hi Ian,

I knew it was something like that! A friend in the States offered me one a few years ago!
The B8 is from a Jet but, I can see the logic in your thinking. The trim is a four way selection, double detent trigger and single bomb/rocket release button.

Tony, PM returned!

Martyn,

GYD

Member for

24 years 2 months

Regards the Harrier incident - the type had about a minute and a half of demin water to use in the hover. The T.4's tended to get the hotter burning engines - I should imagine that middle of summer the hover performance wasn't sparkling and by the sound of it a slow transition to forward flight contributed. The first generation Harriers where nowhere near as competent in the hover as the second.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Can't keep up for my job . . . Nice KG12! May have said this, but the 12 saw use on early 109s (E-series), 110s and 87s. So a 109 or even a 110 may be fit for yours. The Gerät-Nr. indicates it is a 12A, but there were several 12-series variants (e.g., A, B, C, E). To be sure, open the wiring terminal cover box, look for marked circuit diagram decal inside that IDs the particular type. Initial production 12 had two weapon buttons: trigger and top button. Later came the upper side-mount button (first strapped on, later built on like yours). The bulbous button questioned here was an as needed add on. Most were held in place with a band/strap; e.g., see KG12 in RAF BoB Museum 109E. I do not see a strap on yours. How was it attached? Yes, this button was most likely for stores release, but may have also been used to cycle cannons to clear a jam, misfire, etc. (For sure, that was its use on certain later 109s (G-10) as well as on the 262 - all used KG13s.) Note that the outside of the side-mount button on yours is shaved down; often seen, this was done at unit level - pilot call - to to avoid binding when pushed. Finally, the other grip, a KG13 in the background, marked V60 definitely links it to a Fw190. Thanks for sharing. Who else has German stick tops?

I believe it is an Emil E4 stick so may be for fusing the bomb? Steve will likely know more on this.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Good stuff Steve! Many thanx

Member for

19 years 2 months

Surprised Air Ministry has not bounded this way yet! Where are you Alan!?

Member for

19 years 9 months

A quick question on Nimrod yokes ( I think there may have been discussion on this previously). Does anyone know or was it ever established what the C and N push buttons were for? These are located on either side of the arms (N being in red)
Also whilst on this subject Nimrod yokes seem to have been re designed on the later variants. Anyone know which variant this was established from? I guess the Comet type yokes were from the early Nimrod variants? Thanks

Member for

16 years 2 months

I'm supposed to be writing a book and cannot afford too many internet distractions!

Although I'm literally surrounded by them, I actually do not have many photos of the sticks and columns to share, and no time to take any.

Favourite? Very hard to say. Perhaps the (only surviving?) set of Avro Manchester wheels. Upper portion of pilot's column (lopped off by scrappy) and extension arm to second pilot's wheel.

It's out in the garage along with many others and no time to go get a photo.

Sorry! :(

Member for

16 years 7 months

Does anyone know or was it ever established what the C and N push buttons were for? These are located on either side of the arms (N being in red)
Also whilst on this subject Nimrod yokes seem to have been re designed on the later variants. Anyone know which variant this was established from? I guess the Comet type yokes were from the early Nimrod variants? Thanks

'N' is the Nuclear or special weapons release, and 'C' Conventional stores release button.
The Nimrod used the basic Comet yoke, I don't know what the MRA.4 yokes were based on.