Stirling Crash, Norfolk, July 1941

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 2 months

No relics from that aircraft unfortunately, although we have got a photo of the crew which I'll post on here when it's been sent to me

John

Member for

20 years 9 months

Thanks John.
Looking forward to it.
A.

Member for

11 years 6 months

stirling crash site norfolk 1941

Hello all,

My grandfather Leslie E J Davenport was on the stricken bomber that they had to bail out over Newton flotman. Raid was hannover but due to high fuel consumption they had to turn round after dropping there bombs. They were heading back to oakington with dangerously low fuel load. They breathed a sigh of relief when they made it over the channel and Witt gave the order to bail out, Prentice broke his back in the jump, my grandfather and 2nd pilot Leslie Bolton spent a night in a local farm house.
They were all picked up the next day and taken back to base.

I am aware and in possession of information on the crash and police reports from the night it did not nose dive and crash I believe it to have skidded accross the road and blew up in the wood there.

The RAF must have came and picked up the main body of the aircraft but my research led me to the spot but the land owner never got back to me regarding metal detecting on the land. Now I know bits of the aircraft went to a local aviation museum and I am sorry to say I went there and they never had any bits there. They seem to be lost in time.

I would very much like to chat to a few of you about it in finer detail as someone on this forum has answered my preyors as they are in possession of bits of my grandfathers plane. Out of respect and homage to my grandfather I would love to be in possession of a few bits that would finally make me so happy, its like my grandfather wanted me to find this post god rest his soul.

Please please please get back to me about investigations in this site and any preeminent of the aircraft! I am aware of one of the crew still alive and speak to him regularily. Also are there any photos?

Please post on here or call me . 07818568249

Ian Davenport

Crew was Dennis Witt DFM DFC (died in the 70s ended up a Wing commander have been in contact with his family members), Keith Deyell (no trace), Bolton (spoken to him lives in Scotland he was in POW camp with my grandfather), John Prentice (lives in New Zealand spoken to him), Burrows (Died on Manchesters), J L AMills (Died on Manchesters), L E J Davenport (died in 1988, was A POW grandad joined another crew 7th September 1941 and they were shot down all to become POWs / raid on Berlin)

Member for

11 years 6 months

stirling crash site norfolk 1941

I am aware of an aircraft inthusiast who went to the site I'm the 70s and found bits of the Elson toilet 303 cartridges and instruments lying on the surface, but gave them to the aviation museum. I have been to the site but would love to be in possession of some bits.

I does sadden me to hear people can buy bits of crash site's on eBay and such places I feel it would be such a massive success for me and my family to obtain such pieces.

Please contact me maybe a dig can be arranged maybe people might have photographs, I would not know where to start. Please help.

Ian davenport 07818568249

Member for

17 years 2 months

Hi Ian and welcome to the Forum.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I believe that we may have a crew photo so once we've dug it out I'm sure we can let you have a copy.

You can contact me on email or PM via this forum :)

regards

John

Member for

24 years 6 months

Hello all,

My grandfather leslie e j davenport was on the stricken bomber ... due to high fuel consumption they had to turn round and never bombed the target.

Which is at odds with the ORB as seen in post #14

(For Mr Davenport - it is not unusual to find such discrepancies)

Moggy

Member for

11 years 6 months

Stirling Crash 1941

Hello There,

Yes your right so many discrepancies with books I didnt ever get to talk to my grandfather regarding it as he died in the 80s when I was only 4 yrs old.

So they did bomb the target oh ok.....

Yes any other information, but really interested in a previous post of someone claiming to have 'bits' of my grandads plane!!!

Ian

Member for

24 years 6 months

So they did bomb the target oh ok.....

Well they were credited with it, which might not be the same thing :)

Moggy

Member for

20 years 9 months

Ian.
Well it never ceases to amaze me where stuff leads.
The visit I had to St Neots to see the Stirling cockpit project led to a book, and then a crash near to where I grew up many years ago and now to this.
I can't help you with parts for the aeroplane, or pictures, but the other guys here are real experts on the Stirling and it's history.
Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum.
Andy

Member for

11 years 6 months

Stirling crash site Newton Flotman Norfolk 1941

Hello Andy,

Fingers crossed people can help me further with more information and possible relic's and photos,

I am so pleased!!!

Ian

Member for

16 years 11 months

No relics from that aircraft unfortunately, although we have got a photo of the crew which I'll post on here when it's been sent to me

John

Will you still post the picture???::diablo:

Member for

17 years 2 months

Will you still post the picture???::diablo:

Why wouldn't I?:confused:

Member for

16 years 11 months

No hoping you do!! have some bits and a picture of crew would make display look complete if you could!! marvelous!!

Member for

17 years 2 months

Alles klar:)

Have reminded Pino to send me it

John

Member for

11 years 6 months

stirling crash newton flotman 1941

No hoping you do!! have some bits and a picture of crew would make display look complete if you could!! marvelous!!

Hi Martin is this something you can help me with, I would love to obtain some relics from my grandfathers Stirling. I have sent you some private messages relating to it. Obviously this is all close to my heart due to the link I have with this Stirling. I am aware a bag of bits going to flixton aviation museum back in the 1970s but this was just lost in time. I would be interested to know what bits from my grandfathers crash site you have.

Kind regards Ian

Member for

11 years 6 months

Stirling Bomber crash July 1941 Newton Flotman

Moggy,

Yes thanks for this I was aware of the description but not in this document, many thanks it will add to my collection / research of 'bits'.

I am really hopeful of bits of the aircraft, pictures and anyone that remembers the crash in that village, anything and everything will help.

Hindenburg says he has bits of that crash site, I would really like to obtain some pieces my family would be so grateful!!

Ian

Member for

16 years 11 months

The bits are nothing to get excited about,small remnants,as I`ve said the type of stuff thats ploughed up rather than dug out.I `ll have a look later for you,too many different aircraft to sort through to find them..but you are welcome to them when I find them :).

Member for

11 years 6 months

Stirling Crash site Newton Flotman 1941

Guys,

Thanks ever so much for your replies,

Martin once you have had a sort through I would love those bits many thanks!!! I look forward to when you get an opportunity to have a sort through.

I wonder where some of the bits went to after Flixton, shame I wouldnt really know where to start to look for other bits now could be anywhere.

Ian