Stirling Crash, Norfolk, July 1941

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 11 months

Have you tried Parham and Thorpe Abbots museums Ian?
,I`m sure I`ve seen a display relating to your aircraft when touring the East Angian Museums in the early nineties.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Stirling crash Newton Flotman Norfolk 1941

Thanks yes I have obtained their number and I am going to give them a call.

Many thanks Hindenburg...

Ian

Member for

17 years 2 months

Hi Ian

As promised here's the crew photo. I've been warned by our Chairman that this may not include all those who were onboard N6022 when she crashed.

John

Attachments

Member for

11 years 6 months

Stirling Bomber Crash Newton Flotman 1941

Hello all,

Yes thanks for this picture I can see Dennis Witt and Keith Deyell but my grandfather is not in this picture, this is an earlier 1941 pic pre may 1941. Thanks for posting all the same.

Have you any other pictures of crews from 1941 7squadron?

Ian

Member for

16 years 11 months

Superb!! Many thanks John.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Stirling Bomber crash N6022 MG D

John,

I am aware that MG D 6022 was John Cruikshank's (Pilot) Stirling, he was on leave when Witt along with the crew including my grandfather used it on the Hannover raid. Apparently they joked afterwards how Dennis Witt 'pranged' his Stirling!!

Thanks for the pictures, if you have anymore Squadron 7 related around about 1941 I will be grateful.

Regards

Ian

Member for

11 years 6 months

Stirling Bomber Crash Newton Flotman July 1941

Hello all,

Has there been any other pictures of Squadron 7 Stirlings, crews etc in anyones possession I would be interested to see them.

Many thanks Martin for the Direct message about the bits you have.

Fingers crossed more info will come my way regarding this crash site.

Regards

Ian

Member for

17 years 9 months

There is a good photo of a line-up of 7 Squadron Stirlings in David Earl's book, Hell on High Ground 2.
Among them is N6075, MG-A.
Later, while attached to the conversion flight with 101 Squadron, (and coded SR-W3), she crashed at Merryton Low, near Leek.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just an update, a chap helping me with my research spoke to the ex game keeper of an estate where the plane came down and he said that a Stirling wheel was in a farm building for 30 years after the war! It was then taken to Flixton Aviation museum. Now they only have a complete wheel of a Lanc, but said in the late 70s they had to 'get rid' of alot of tyres for Health and Safety reasons.

Shame looks like the tyre found of my grandads Stirling quite litterally went up in smoke!

Ian