ex-USAF Vietnam Cessna O-2A Skymaster en route to Holland now, to be based at Teuge..

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 3 months

That's a very nice looking aircraft!!
Looking forward to see her upclose.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Great warbird...semi-affordable and practical as well.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Ahhhhh a rear engine fire in waiting, :) thought the military ones had knee high windows on the side below the screen

Member for

24 years 3 months

The clear door is on the right hand side.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Gotcha, there is also a clear section forward of it too... They are damn pain in the **** to work on, over complex gear that had a habit of doing its own thing and a rear engine that could burst into flames at the drop of a hat and you could be sitting there dumb and happy unaware, hence the mirrors under the wing so you can keep an eye in both.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Which is why most civilian Skymasters had the rear engine disabled... or at least not run unless the front one quit.

It was not removed due to C/G issues.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Which is why most civilian Skymasters had the rear engine disabled... or at least not run unless the front one quit.

It was not removed due to C/G issues.

So pilots took off in a twin engine aircraft with one engine deliberately shut down just in case it caught fire?

Despite the fact that the rear engine was more efficent due to aerodynamic flow and gave better book figures in an engine out situation?

Biggest risk was inadvertant loss of the rear engine during taxi followed by a single engine take-off (or attempt anyway), corrective technique was to ensure take-off roll was started by advancement of the rear engine first to confirm of operation.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Never knew of one flying on one on purpose, the 337 was brought out to get around the problems of asymmetric thrust, which it did, though the rear engine tended to suffer from cooling issues on the ground at least.. coupled with the lack of a fire indication system, but you could see the engine in the mirror fitted outboard on the wings, they were there also to see the gears state of affairs if it had a problem as you couldn't see it from the cockpit.

I must admit is was one of my favourite looking aircraft, one took out a jet fighter in the Far East when attacked, he fired off the rockets used to hit / mark ground targets and hit it.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Which is why most civilian Skymasters had the rear engine disabled.

Simply not true. I really don't know where you got that idea from.
Like most GA light twins, it would have had a difficult time taking off with any kind of load on one engine.
Besides, I'm sure the FAA would have a dim view of the practice, requiring fixes to be made to the engine or grounding of the type if for some unlikely reason the problem couldn't be fixed.

Also, I've never heard of the engine fires that TonyT speaks of.

Also, TonyT...you're half correct.
There was a another window forward of the door post on military O-2s...but it was only on the right side (along with the extra windows in the bottom of the doors).
So the example illustrated may have them. Why have the extra windows only on the right? Presumably, the pilot could look down on his side, but not in a right turn.

Scrooge has it right in his comment about the rear engine stalling during taxi and some pilots not noticing. Cessna told pilots to advance the rear engine first and pilots retrofitted the rear view mirrors.

Perhaps poster StephWilk, a former editor of Flying magazine could give us his opinion? He must know the type...and its associated stories.

For those interested, I can recommend a series of books on the development (warts and all) of Cessna aircraft by a former Cessna engineer. It cuts through all the "hangar stories" and uneducated small talk.

Member for

14 years 8 months

some visual information about the windows on the right-hand side of the plane. (BTW: this is a ex-USAF O-2A flown by Aussie pilots in Vietnam. Now owned by the Temora Aviation Museum. )
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1215/dsc02579ou.jpg

Member for

20 years 5 months

http://www.VC10.net/div/O-2_1.jpg

http://www.VC10.net/div/O-2_2.jpg

It got there around 15:30. The only hitch that I noticed was the Extra 300 that went up to welcome it, it landed after the O-2, got a flat tire and blocked the runway!

Member for

17 years 6 months

Like most GA light twins, it would have had a difficult time taking off with any kind of load on one engine.

Yup, as with most light twins, lose an engine and the other one will simply carry you to the crash site.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Lovely aeroplane. As a kid this was my first experience of a Cessna 0-2 :)

Rob

Attachments

Member for

18 years 10 months

They are known in the US as *Mix Masters*..... named after this device:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Handheld_Electric_Beater.jpg/450px-Handheld_Electric_Beater.jpg