Flt Sgt Copping's P-40 From The Egyptian Desert

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

..er no. Just the tail was BP926.

This BF VI shot was a very complete but substantially bent example.

Mark

Hey, I'm out of practice!

Yes, I know which one now!

Bruce

Member for

24 years 2 months

People are working on the basis that the first few pictures are fake -however if they are it still doesnt explain where the P-40 cockpit is !

Member for

13 years 3 months

Why are people so certain that 1,2, and 3 are fake? They all look bloody obviously real to me!! Digital, too, IMO, probably from a compact. It seems to have struggled to expose correctly due to the bright sky contrasting with the dull foreground.

Member for

12 years 1 month

I don't get it. Even if he has more photos, those are an odd choice of five to post.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Over on Wix, Pic 3 has been sharpened up. Looks much more believable now!

Bruce

Member for

12 years 1 month

If it is real, and is recovered, do we favour a restoration or do we leave it as is?

Leave as it is. Do not do a 50/50 job like Duxford's 109!

The enhanced photo on wix does look a lot better though I'm still not totally convinced.

There's speculation on another forum that it could be a film set. Anyone?

Member for

13 years 3 months

It makes me laugh how people over ta WIX have blown up the tail section from the long distance photo, and theyre surprised to see artefacts around the tail :rolleyes:

Personally, I would also have taken and posted the long distance photos. They add authenticity and believability to the photos, by showing the surrounding environment and approach.

Member for

13 years 6 months

People are saying that modellers couldn't be that good...

If so, they know little about serious scale modeling, and what knowledge they do have probably extends about as far as the $19.95 plastic-toy kits that are top-of-the-line in Walmarts. And of course some of the best scale modelers don't even use kits; they scratchbuild.

Member for

12 years 1 month

Photos 3 and 4 look far too contrived and posed

Member for

20 years 8 months

Why are people so certain that 1,2, and 3 are fake? They all look bloody obviously real to me!! Digital, too, IMO, probably from a compact. It seems to have struggled to expose correctly due to the bright sky contrasting with the dull foreground.

Exactly; and as I pointed out on page 1 As a photographer the photo's are exactly what I would expect to see from the processed output of a compact, or even a consumer DSLR from a few years back.

Member for

11 years 11 months

Model or not that is the question

Hi
Awot is me :-) My nickname does not mean A Waste Of Time. Is the name of my motorcycle AWO-425T http://www.film-autos.com/fundus/fahrzeug/index.php?fz_id=259
In a few days I get a few other pictures of the P-40. This is not a model. It's a real plane! Believe !!!

Raphael

Member for

24 years 2 months

Welcome to our world Raphael.

We would all love it to be true, and I am sure all look forward to more pictures!

Member for

16 years 5 months

Beau VI; you are a tease.

So what is the Spitfire in the background of the Ju88 tail shot??

Well serial no ends in 8 !

Steve

Member for

24 years 2 months

Welcome to the forum Raphael! Looking forward to more pictures of this unique find! You do realise that until you post more pics, you have dozens of folks eagerly watching the thread sipping cofffee or other harder drink types in anticipation!

Member for

19 years 10 months

Hi
Awot is me :-) My nickname does not mean A Waste Of Time. Is the name of my motorcycle AWO-425T http://www.film-autos.com/fundus/fahrzeug/index.php?fz_id=259
In a few days I get a few other pictures of the P-40. This is not a model. It's a real plane! Believe !!!

Raphael

Hi Raphael,
Welcome to the board and please prove my mind wrong.
cheers
Jerry

Member for

20 years

People refuse to believe it's real because you cannot see the bloody shark's mouth!! :D

Perhaps the photographer did not slide back the canopy and hop into the cockpit as everyone seems to be debating, he may have stuck the camera through the small opening such as a broken canopy panel?

Member for

13 years 4 months

Fake?

OK then. For the P40 experts (that's not me, by the way) ...

What part of the a/c is shown in Pic 4? Port fuselage side?

If that's a lifted-up hatch in the position where the fuselage roundel (?) is, isn't it odd that there seems to be no opening visible behind it? And was there a hatch in the side of the P40 in the position where the roundel was usually painted? Above the wing trailing edge fairing?

Secondly, what's that funny white-ish thing at the top left-hand corner which looks like broken plastic?

Ian

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think the fuselage was twisted slightly during landing, which probably caused the hatch to spring open, and because its out of true and at an angle you can't see the opening behind it.