Flt Sgt Copping's P-40 From The Egyptian Desert

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 1 month

The amount of ammo would also back up the getting lost and running out of fuel theory.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not sure about the running out of gas thoery.. looks like fire damage on the cowling to me..?

Member for

18 years 6 months

Each time you look at the video you see more. Note flak holes visible inside the fuselage stbd. side, port tailplane one hole, top rear fuselage damage and of course the exit holes by the hatch port side.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not sure about the running out of gas thoery.. looks like fire damage on the cowling to me..?

We know where it came from. We know what it was doing. We know where it was found. Why would it be there, miles from the the operational coastal area?

Not totally lost and out of fuel then?

Mark

The amount of ammo would also back up the getting lost and running out of fuel theory.

Why?? :confused:

Member for

13 years 3 months

Could'a been lost, could'a been a standing patrol looking for enemy movements way out there, Could'a been a pursuit.... we could speculate all year. Lets wait for the serial to become known and see what the ORB tells us.

Member for

17 years 5 months

The only thing that is 100% sure is we have never ever left one up there, they all come back to earth eventually....The rest is just conjecture.

As for ammo, a lot of the cold war bombs the ruskies used were simply surplus WW2 shells with fins added.

Member for

12 years 1 month

Why?? :confused:

In which case he might not have bumped into any bad guys and therefore didn't expend any ammo on this sortie, as opposed to being shot down in a combat scenario. Just a thought.

Member for

13 years 3 months

We are in trouble. It's been posted on imgur gallery. This is now public knowledge.

p.s. dont read the comments, they will damage your IQ.

http://imgur.com/gallery/rF52T

Member for

12 years 1 month

We are in trouble. It's been posted on imgur gallery. This is now public knowledge.

p.s. dont read the comments, they will damage your IQ.

http://imgur.com/gallery/rF52T

'As someone who appreciates random ****, Not bad.'

High brow stuff! IQ irreparably damaged...

Member for

24 years 2 months

LBG.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/LBGTobruk2007PeterArnold35-2.jpg

Member for

13 years 1 month

I have found split/broken WW.1 303 British (cordite strands) cartridges on the Somme and German Black powder rounds with loose heads, both having been exposed to the weather for nearly 70 years, and set fire to the emptied contents (singly) with a satisfying woomph. All ammunition is dangerous and anything bigger, just tiptoe away. I once persuaded a young chap and his mother that the "exhaust pipes" he'd found and were rattling around in the car boot were in fact unfired Stokes Mortar rounds (which do look like small exhaust silencers) with very corroded pins still just in place.. As for any rescuers recovering the ammo originally I don't think they would have bothered, The radio possibly.

John

In my youth, around 1960, my cousin and I used to plane spot at Biggin Hill. To avoid ejection by grown ups, we used to sneak through the woods to get to the hangar at the far side. During one sortie, I nearly trod on something that looked like a shell or mortar :eek:. I retreated and careful circumnavigated the item, taking great care no to tread on any others there. I wonder if they still lay in the woods there?

Member for

14 years 5 months

P40

Bit more by someone there

The Egyptian government have been informed by the military. The army took only ammunition of the airplane to not hit the wrong hands. At the moment the plane is in the same state as in the movie. there is practically no possibility of the devastation of this plane because it is army complex - patrolled by the army.
The plane was found incidentally - do not do the explorations..
in mid-April, I'll try to go to the place where the plane - it will put more videos.

or now, I found this information:
AIRPLANE H87A-3
PART NO. 87-69-714R
CAL. 50, CAP.155 RDS
R.H. GUN BOX NO 2
I have a few pictures from the cockpit - I will try to end the week to include them on the internet - give them a link

regards

Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well Buz was spot on H87-A3 = P-40E-1CU

So Serial will be one of either 420

RAF ET100 to ET519 USAAF 41-24776 to 41-25195 C/N 19287 to 19706

or one of either 1080

RAF ET520 to ET1030 (ET1000-> ET 1030 Manufacturers Error became EV100 to EV130) then EV100 to EV699

USAAF 41-35874 to 41-36953 C/N 19707 to 20786

Member for

15 years 9 months

Can't open the link, Her Maj has blocked it, any clues :( :?

Member for

12 years 1 month

There's plenty of flare cartridges on the ground, so maybe the pilot was able to be picked up...

Member for

12 years 2 months

Remarkable photographs, amazing how well preserved it is, let's hope it stays that way.