Flt Sgt Copping's P-40 From The Egyptian Desert

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

This thread is well off track now so to continue in that vein perhaps the Government thinks the money well spent in our excursions into Iraq and Afghanistan in producing a new crop of paralympians.

Back to the original thread. Just who if anybody is searching for the remains of Flt Sgt Copping?

Member for

16 years 6 months

Bumping.... any more news on aircraft and pilot?

Member for

17 years 6 months

On another Forum, someone has posted that the Kittyhawk has been recovered, and is now safe.

Is anyone 'in the know' at liberty to confirm or deny this?

What of the human remains that were discovered? Any further news?

Thanks.

#1236 in this thread refers.

Member for

11 years 7 months

Have there been any developments on the P-40 and human remains recovery?

Member for

17 years 5 months

It seems to have gone all quiet, but often does if something is happening, a bit like the Spits in Burma.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The P-40 is a bit more tangiable!

Member for

17 years 5 months

I know, but if it is indeed on the move one would think they want to keep it quiet until it arrives at its destination to avoid anyone scuppering the process.

Member for

11 years 9 months

Looking forward to hearing the latest on the Kittyhawk. All the magazines have run what has been discussed here (Flightpath ran a very well done piece with JDK drawing the threads together into something cohesive). It's like we're at the tipping point while we wait for something firm. Fingers crossed for good and constructive news.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Thanks for the update! translation:

But what has been found by the p40 ARID? and the remains of the pilot?

the wreckage was recovered from the state agency SIAG (with very questionable methods) and led to Alamein.

Now lying in a container outside the perimeter of the museum waiting for, as the museum does not want, a benefactor of overseas offers to take him on board and take it away.

Hopefully, since it has been removed, in a suitable restoration.

Copping the pilot, however, no one at present is interested.
The remains remain where we found them

Member for

18 years 1 month

To say no-one is interested is far from the truth.

Member for

14 years 5 months

P40

Guys, :mad:

Can I ask everyone to just be a bit patient and stop questioning everything that is happening with regards the P40.

Think about it. The people who need to know, knew where it was, know how it was built, know how to take it apart and know how to transport it safely.

Some of these statements and questions is not helping what is going on in the background so please think just a little bit. :(

Recovering an airframe is relatively easy. What comes next is the difficult part so can we just keep calm, considerate and let the parties involved get on and get to the final outcome all of us are praying will eventually happen.

Forums can be a great help but they can also be a hindrance so please bear that in mind before making uneducated and rash comments.

Not going to say anything more but just please.....

regards

Mark

As a person interested in historical events such as this one, I'm inclined to agree, some comments are not really constructive or pro-active in nature. I would like to know if Copping had any idea that there was an oasis about 45km away? Does anyone have the co-ordinates of his point of departure and intended destination?

Member for

24 years 2 months

After thinking it over and recieving some firsthand information, this thread is open once again. Can we just have a little patience and I am sure everyone will know when the time is right where this P40 will be preserved. ultimately it is the pilot that I am concerned about. Hopefully now that the aircraft is secure, all efforts can concentrate on finding him and bringing him home.
Peter

Member for

18 years 1 month

Thanks Peter

Thanks for that Peter.
This thread can still be useful for trying to get to the ultimate conclusion: confirming that the remains found by ARIDO (qattara) are those of FS Copping and attempting to find the rest (hard as that may be). If that is possible, then it will not be too difficult to trace the DNA to the bereaved family. Our interest in the pilot is in no way diluted by the recovery of the aircraft.
But I agree with Peter and Shepsair that we must stick to the point and not dilute the thread with irrelevance.
Thanks

Member for

15 years 10 months

After thinking it over and recieving some firsthand information, this thread is open once again.

Thanks Pete, great 10,000th post BTW :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

I didn't notice that Dr strangelove.. thanks!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I would like to know if Copping had any idea that there was an oasis about 45km away?

This is just me guys, but I'd really rather see Flt/Sgt Copping given the dignity of his rank.

Moggy

Member for

17 years 5 months

And the Dignity of a burial.. Poor guy.

I am aware that, behind the scenes, there are those who are trying to bring that to fruition.

I am also aware, sadly, that the family had not been made aware of the recovery of the aircraft when it occurred some weeks ago. They only became aware when a third party mentioned it to them. I cannot help but feel that to have been a regrettable oversight, if not a slight, and in my view thy should have been told. After all, they are very much stakeholders in this story!