Damaged roof closes Duxford again -anyone planning half term visits

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

Due to structural damage caused by high winds, IWM Duxford is closed until further notice. The next update will be provided on Tuesday 18 February.

Original post

Member for

19 years

First covered in the Duxford Diary thread. :D

Brian

Member for

20 years 6 months

First covered in the Duxford Diary thread. :D

Brian

Yes but not everyone looks in there and probably don't even look at the IWM webpage either so if it saves someone a long disappointing journey -job done :).
Just seems that at what could have been the two busiest times of the winter the museum has had to shut.

Is the style and shape of the roof more susceptible to wind damage i wonder?

Member for

11 years 5 months

As I commented on the main thread - was it designed for aesthetics or practicality? It's not as though the UK never experiences weather extremes from all points of the compass.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

Due to structural damage caused by high winds, IWM Duxford is closed until further notice. The next update will be provided on Tuesday 18 February.

Trumper

I for one appreciated your post. It might have saved me some considerable inconvenience.

I would not have seen it in the Duxford Diary thread.

As with the Fire at Kew thread, one hopes that posting this kind of information is useful to the community - albeit that the Kew incident might not yet cause any opening problems. But a 'heads-up' never hurts.

Member for

24 years 2 months

To think before its current incarnation it was called the 'Superhangar' ! It seems more akin to a glorified tin shed!

Member for

24 years 2 months

My tin shed still has it's roof intact...

Member for

24 years 2 months

...and the then Superhangar lost its roof in 1987, when I don't think it had been completed. While the storms recently have been unprecedented in frequency, they've not been in strength, have they?

Adrian