Merlin XX Whirlwinds and Packard produced Peregrines ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 7 months

This Packard deal to produce Peregrines under licence to Rolls-Royce to upgrade them to produce 985 hp

Just about everything in the new Whirly Book by Mr Franks about Petters Mark II Whirlwind, shown in the part Jerry has highlighted are just a fabrication, based on day-dreams and an uneventful hour waiting for paint to dry back in 2008 by your truly...

The damming evidence is here:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?87105-Mk-II-Westland-Whirlwind-%91What-if%92&highlight=Packard+Peregrines

How it got where it is now in plain black & white, is beyond me and the Chinese Whisperers...

Perhaps I should have taken a career change and become a politician, as it seems everyone, or nearly everyone would believe every word I said...

You are to be congratulated - "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them, while some make it up as they go along" :applause:

Member for

11 years 10 months

It occurred to me that the Whirlwind probably featured in that excellent series of publications "Aircraft in Profile". Looking it up I find that apparently the government considered re-engining the Whirlwind, not for performance reasons, but to eliminate a production bottleneck with the Peregrines. The idea was rejected because the aircraft "was too small and its entire layout unpromising" ("British War Production" , HMSO). That seemed to imply a larger engine such as the Merlin was in mind, but the idea was rejected as impractical.