Fly in a Spitfire Air Experience Flights NO licence needed!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

Some news from yesterday's press event here, for those interested - http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2014/06/23/aviation-event-aero-legends-press-launch-at-headcorn/

Great write up EM, I was at Headcorn today flying and even in the short time I was there a customer came in and made a serious enquiry about a Spitfire flight.
Serious question, is Keith Perkins a lottery winner?

Member for

13 years 8 months

Great write up EM, I was at Headcorn today flying and even in the short time I was there a customer came in and made a serious enquiry about a Spitfire flight.
Serious question, is Keith Perkins a lottery winner?

Serious Answer: None of your business.

Member for

15 years 1 month

No a very successful businessman with a great taste in warbirds!

Member for

17 years 5 months

Serious Answer: None of your business.

Well said that man.

Member for

19 years 4 months

No a very successful businessman with a great taste in warbirds!

Thank you for the sensible answer.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Trumper after many years of problems with the locals the airfield now has their backing they have now realised that the airfield is an asset & brings money in to the local economy. The Lashenden Air Warfare Museum is erecting a new display hall to house more of its stored exhibits & the Fi103 R-4 Reichenberg & we now have Aero Legends operating from Lashenden (Headcorn). Things can only get better with several warbirds bieng based there!

That is good news.
When I first became acquainted with EGKH back in the 90's I was stunned at the anti airfield movement and website run by one malevolent individual , I remember him gloating about light aircraft prangs (some fatal)
A few people asked him via his website whether he'd prefer an industrial or housing estate , to which he replied either would do. This was during the dark days of New Labour and Fatty Prescotts mad obsession with building on anything, particularly if it meant annoying nearby Tories.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Seems to suggest fly WITH a Spitfire or Hurricane rather than in (especially not in a Hurricane!) so no change there from what has been for years? Also a schoolboy error with a picture of a Hurricane behind the Spitfire text.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Indeed.

Now merged.

Moggy

Member for

19 years 4 months

Seems to suggest fly WITH a Spitfire or Hurricane rather than in (especially not in a Hurricane!) so no change there from what has been for years? Also a schoolboy error with a picture of a Hurricane behind the Spitfire text.

After looking at the website I'm not as excited about this at the moment as I should be.
I can only assume the 2 BBMF guys are joining the operation after leaving the RAF in the future.
IIRC, Dunc Mason has another season after this in charge.
Posters on this forum are largely knowledgeable about the historic aviation scene, are we expected to believe that 2 current key BBMF personnel (the OC and the Ops officer) are already with this fledgling operation?
The day to day running of the BBMF is a time consuming occupation, with busy weekends .
Not a lot of time to fit in hops with 'Aero Legends' I would have thought.

By the way,I run a local pub football team, the coaching staff includes Jose Mourinho and Frank Lampard:eagerness:

Member for

15 years 11 months

Fantastic video :-) what a lovely chap.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Agent K if you look carefully at the Aero Legends website (www.aerolegends.co.uk) you will see the following:-

Tiger Moth, Harvard, 20 Minutes Spitfire cost share £4,900.00.

For this you will fly in a Tiger Moth either G-PWBE or G-ANMO (& G-ANDE when its restoration is finished), a Harvard IV G-BGPB & then in Sptfire T9 PV202. When the Aero Legends Spitfire NH341 (G-CICK) has finished its restoration & conversion to twin seat you will then fly in this aircraft. Nobody has mentioned anything about flying in a Hurricane.

The Harvard IV & Spitfire T9 will be supplied by ARCO at Duxford & it is presumed that they will supply the pilots to fly their aircraft.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Aerohistorian

I can understand Agent K's interpretation. Although the aerolegends website may not be the origin of confusion, there was a misleading comment in "The Times" yesterday. Their reporter Oliver Moody described a flight he had just been given in the two seat Spitfire, then at the end of his article mentioned that: "Aero Legends flights in a Hurricane or Spitfire will start at £390 from July 1".

Tim

Member for

15 years 1 month

Thats the national press for you!

Member for

24 years 2 months

However, if you think about your average PPL in a group, he'll pay the group an hourly sum that does, in a well run group at least, include a contribution to the engine fund. So in his hourly rate which he will share with his passenger(s) at least an element of the engine usage cost is shared.

I have no idea where that takes us, but then the CAA rules have always been a labyrinth, but they do appear to recognise that and are taking constructive steps to sort it out.

In truth, the legality of the arrangement is the operator's concern. If it is suspect the CAA will not pursue the 'customer' so it's hardly worth worrying about.

Presumably there would be insurance issues, but that only matters if you have dependents.

Moggy

Member for

13 years 8 months

Ah, no Spitfire flights though - does anybody know where they are with this?

FB

Duxford and Headcorn....

Member for

13 years 7 months

Good chance that with potential legislation changes( possibly very soon) BFA at Goodwood will be offering flights to non pilots under informed consent ruleset. If you get the chance, take it....there are few things more overwhelming than a first Spitfire flight.

Member for

15 years 1 month

From Headcorn (Lashenden) Aerodromes facebook page

Aerolegends will be operating the two seat Spitfire and T6 Harvard at Headcorn tomorrow and Friday.