FAA aircraft ditched in Thames

Member for

5 years 3 months

I am researching a family tree for a good friend who was born in September 1941. He never knew his father who, according to family accounts, was killed at some time between January and September 1941 when the Fleet Air Arm aircraft in which he was flying ditched in the River Thames. The only further clue I have is that the man's name may have included "Lawrence", either as a forename or a surname. I would take great delight in tracing this man on behalf of my friend, so if anyone can help I would be very grateful.
Original post
Profile picture for user snafu

Member for

6 years 2 months

There are one or two books out there that could help, but the most helpful thing would be knowledge of the fathers name. Looking through my copy of Air Britain's Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939-1945 for the surname Lawrence came up with nothing for that period, although the book is (understandably) not fully comprehensive. It might be that local knowledge of the area and incidents, which I don't have, might be of more help.

Member for

6 years 8 months

Assuming he was actually in the FAA of course: From the CWGC: SAVILL, JOHN LAWRENCE Rank:Leading Airman Service No:FAA/FX. 77294 Date of Death:29/05/1941 Age:20 Regiment/Service:Royal Navy H.M.S. Sheffield Panel Reference:Bay 2, Panel 2. Memorial:LEE-ON-SOLENT MEMORIAL But that would have been days after the sinking of Bismark, so what would the chances that the event would have been in the Thames/Thames Estuary. Slim I'm assuming, so probably not the right man. With the full name the search will be a lot easier and there should be a fair amount of information available.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Not a Thames loss Zidante but due to the lack of any other info from the OP one to put on the ? spike. Walrus L2228 " 29th – At 0830 hours in position 36-20N, 9-35W Force H were joined by destroyers FAULKNOR, FORESTER, FURY and WISHART from Gibraltar. En route to Gibraltar FORESTER and FURY were detached to search for a reported U-boat. At 1334 hours both of SHEFFIELD’s Walrus aircraft were catapulted off. One to carry out an A/S patrol around Force H and the other to deliver a message to the RENOWN and then to fly on to Gibraltar to collect mail. At 1340 hours, having dropped his message on RENOWN’s forecastle, the Walrus flew low over the stern of RENOWN and as it flew through the hot gases from the funnel it went out of control and crashed hitting RENOWN’s stern before crashing into the sea and killing the three crew. A passenger RPO Marjoram, who was on board to collect the mail, was picked up by destroyer WISHART, but died of injuries. At 1900 hours RENOWN, ARK ROYAL, SHEFFIELD, FAULKNOR and WISHART arrived back at Gibraltar." From http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-02BC-HMS_Renown.htm Regards Ross
Profile picture for user snafu

Member for

6 years 2 months

Just for info:
29 May 1941 FAA, 700 Sqn, Sheffield, air crash BROOKS, Brian P H, Lieutenant, MPK NEDWILL, Philip A, Lieutenant, MPK SAVILL, John L, Act/Leading Airman, FAA/FX 72294, killed Sheffield, air crash MARJORAM, John W B, Regulating Petty Officer, C/MX 40184, DOW http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1941-05MAY3.htm

Member for

5 years 3 months

Many thanks, you guys. That all gives me a start in finding the lad in question