Free ! - Spitfire display - a very parochial notice....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

...for those Forumites in the mid-Herts area of the U.K.

This is my annual reminder for Burnham Green Village Day on Bank Holiday Monday (25th. August). What marks this out from most village fetes is a Spitfire display provided courtesy of John Romain, main man at ARC over at Duxford. John was brought up in the village and provides a suitable aircraft for a display slot at some point during the afternoon. He usually manages to alarm the uninitated by swoopimg down into a shallow valley behind the houses, a la Biggin Hill. If you stay outside the fete ground you can watch the display for free - if you go inside the fairground it'll cost you a quid or so, but you'll be able to access the portaloos and the Tombola stalls (wow indeed). Also be informed that the local hostelry - the White Horse, just behind the village green - is holding a beer festival that very day. Burnham Green can be found in the wild hinterland between Welwyn Garden City and Stevenage.
And if you see a lonely soul sitting, quietly sobbing, beneath the shade of a nearby tree - it'll be me, lamenting the fact that I didn't get tickets for Little Gransden the day before.

Original post

Member for

19 years

John Romain is unavailable this year, so the display is being carried out in the more than capable hands of Sqn Ldr (Retd) Ian "Smithy" Smith, former OC BBMF.