Phantom at Hixon is now dead.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

I've just remembered. I passed Hixon today and saw with great sadness that the Phantom has been reduced to just a cockpit. It looks as if everything stored on the runway is being cleared. The six Hercules are now just down to one cockpit, and there are just 4 Lynx fuselages.

Original post

Member for

13 years 2 months

That was FGR2 XV499 from Leeming . I hope they don't get the Javelin too !

Member for

24 years 2 months

Javelin still at Leeming and for sale . The YAM tried to acquire a Leeming Phantom for a good while - I cannot imagine the scrap value of the fuselage and wings was that brilliant .

Member for

16 years 2 months

If I recall correctly, the reserve price at the auction last November for the Phantom was £20k. I think the bidding went up to £18k and stalled. They should have taken it.

I'll bet they'd be lucky to have got 5% of that in scrap value for it.

Anon.

Member for

9 years 10 months

Absolute disgrace, have we not learned anything about aircraft preservation, how has this been allowed to happen ?

Member for

17 years 7 months

I think any hope of preservation was lost after they had cut the wings off it. For one in such a bad way £18k was a good price.

Like the Lynx shells, weighed in for scrap for very little, rather than sell them at a lower price to people.

I just don't get the disposals system we have now, where various dealers would rather scrap stuff than sell it for less than they want to get for it, even if the price is obviously unachievable

Member for

13 years 9 months

Any photos of what aircraft are left?

Member for

12 years 6 months

Are Air and Ground handling the Javelin?

Member for

24 years 2 months

View the Leeming Javelin thread

Member for

13 years

I had a walk round Air & Ground's piece of runway today, which has nearly been cleared. The Phantom and Hercules cockpits are side by side, both missing their radomes and both having been cut off with the JCB 'nibbler'. The only other major items are two Lynx fuselages, XZ721 and XZ727, marked, 'awaiting collection' and two Pegasus engines.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Very nice project for someone. Be interesting to see just how "sparse" the cockpits are!

Rob

Member for

14 years 5 months

Looking through their other auctions I wonder how they arrive at the start prices for their items.

£1000 Lynx Cockpit section
£5000 for the Phantom Cockpit section

Then........

£95,000 For a Hercules cockpit/forward fuselage

Member for

24 years 2 months

Which squadron did the Hercules come from?

Member for

17 years 5 months

That for the herc is having a laugh

Member for

17 years 7 months

The F4 is Very very sparse. It was sparsed thoroughly years ago.

Taking on a sparsed F4 would be a hell of a challenge now, not just the question of the cost of the parts, but actually finding them first is the main problem.

If you want to know who makes these prices up, look on Ebay,

Member for

16 years 2 months

If you were lucky enough to get the Phantom pit for £5k then seats, instruments and other equipment would set you back at least double that - if you could find it.

Anon.

Member for

13 years 9 months

rememeber who ever gets the phantom cockpit has to add VAT to it. So as it stands it's actually 6k. I'm sure you might be able to help with bits MIke lol.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Considering they came out of service relatively recently and there were quite a few of them in service, I never realised Phantom bits were already so hard to find.

Rob