North East Land, Sea And Aircraft Museum Diary

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

6 years 7 months

In the images posted on this thread last month an Anson can be seen behind the Jaguar simulator.

Here's the same aeroplane pictured at Netheravon in 1969.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255666[/ATTACH]

Attachments

That's nice to see. I've only ever seen it in pieces.

Member for

6 years 7 months

And here it is again a year earlier.

Looking resplendent in a new paint job applied especially for the Royal Review held at RAF Abingdon in June 1968.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255667[/ATTACH]

Attachments

On Wednesday 20th September, John Stelling from the museum, joined myself and another couple of friends at my daughter's primary school again, teaching the year 6 students about WW2. John brought along a number of artifacts such as gas masks, ration books, etc., and did a talk about rationing and the blitz on the North East. I did an 8th Air Force talk, and out on the field after morning break, Paul Browning did a talk about all his British Airborne kit.

This was my third year doing a talk at the school, and the second with support from NELSAM. In addition to the three lectures, we had four vehicles on show. Mr Barrass, Deputy Headteacher, has been taking the year 6 class for history, so I felt he should get in on the action, and suitably dressed him up in flying kit, and later gave him some 'off roading' experience in the Jeep around the school field!

Here's a few shots from the morning. As with the visit last year, the kids really enjoyed the hands on learning with the various pieces of equipment we took along.

Some pictures of today at Jeeps & Jets.

Further pics

Member for

16 years 5 months

I really do need to get up there one day.

Rob

Day 2 of Jeeps & Jets had more public around. Most of the same vehicles turned up, but not necessarily in the same order! Three more Jeeps turned up after wandered around with the camera, but as we'd lost the bright sun later in the day, I didn't take any more pictures of those.

My Ford GPW and the Lightning

Vulcan in the Jeep mirror

Member for

16 years 5 months

Steve, Many thanks for picking up the update slack as of late, things have been a bit hectic lately, we have had a shuffle around with the current board, with a few of the younger volunteers stepping up to the plate. there are some site developments happening as well as aircraft progress, unfortunately i dont have any images to hand right now however i will endeavour to get some on my next trip to the site, I am away on exercise this weekend though.

many thanks to you all for your continued support of NELSAM, thanks again to you also Steve.

Regards

Member for

18 years 6 months

In preparation for the arrival of the Boeing 747 cockpit section the Bloodhound missile has been relocated to near the site entrance.

The opportunity was taken to finally mount it onto the launcher that was acquired from Switzerland.

Once the missile has been cleaned and repainted it will be mounted in its launch attitude

Member for

18 years 2 months

Interesting news about the Boeing 747 cockpit - would you like to bring it along to Cockpit-Fest 2018? :angel:

Good to meet up the other weekend!! ;)

I think the cockpit belongs to Stu-Art Aviation, and is just at NELSAM on a temporary basis. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not the case.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Having spent an enjoyable hour or so with Dave et al the other weekend at Newark, my post was very much tongue in cheek – but never say never!! :dev2:

Member for

18 years 6 months

The B747 will be with us for quite while

However I think it would be cheaper to bring Cockpit fest on tour to NELSAM.

The plan is for the cockpit to be open next year once some work has been done to make it secure and will Stu finalises his plan

I am sure you will all correct me but I think this is the first one to go on display in this country.

It is ex United & PanAm

Member for

9 years 6 months

Is the 747 cockpit retrieved from the example scrapped at Prestwick recently?

Member for

18 years 6 months

Yes it is from the example at Prestwick

Member for

8 years 6 months

as promised ( a little bit later than planned) our recent bloodhound move to make was for the 747 cockpit which is due to land any time soon, Many thanks to Francis transport for again stepping in to assist us.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256468[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256469[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256470[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256471[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256472[/ATTACH]

For more regular updates please follow our museum facebook page if you are on there, http://www.facebook.com/NELSAMofficial

Attachments

You need to add the jetwashing picture too! Please do keep up the regular updates.

Is NELSAM doing a Remembrance service again on Nov 11th or 12th?

Member for

8 years 6 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256473[/ATTACH] as Requested Mr C, Malcolm doing some well needed cleaning, i believe there will be a service on the afternoon of Remembrance Sunday, i will check and get back to you though.

Attachments