Sahara P40

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

What chimed with me was the close

"However an exhibition of his aircraft, ET574, broken, and fragmented, but placed in its historical and environmental context where it can inspire the imagination of the viewer, would be a haunting reminder of the sacrifice of not just Flight Sergeant Copping, but many other aircrew of all combatant nations, who suffered a lonely death fighting not a human enemy, but the beautiful and lethal wilderness of the North African Desert. ET574 should be the last occasion where the recovery of an aircraft is undertaken because of what it is rather than the historical and archaeological story it can tell."

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

And has anyone asked the RAF Museum what their intentions are for it?

Whilst 'pipeline' might seek to claim the idea for his/her own, I think you will find that it was always the intention to display it as such - as, when and if it can come to the UK.

Bruce

Yes, to answer your question, Bruce.

'Britain at War' magazine has asked the RAFM for a statement. This will appear in a two page news feature in the April edition of the magazine.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I hope you have made a similar approach to Kennet, as they have received an unfair lambasting for their part in the recovery in the mainstream media, without all the facts being investigated, IMO

Our piece focuses on the media storm directed at the RAFM and looks at the story of Dennis Copping himself.

Since the controversy was very much directed at the RAFM we have asked for and been provided with a statement by the RAFM.

To the very best of my knowledge there has been no 'lambasting' or criticism of Kennet Aviation in the mainstream media. My press cuttings from the Express, Mail, Telegraph and Times certainly make no critical comment in that direction whatsoever. Since the story, here, relates to matters arising from the RAFM report and the subsequent media attention, and since no criticism (to my knowledge) has entered the mainstream public domain via the news media of Kennet Aviation in respect of this business arrangement, we have not addressed any issues relating to Kennet Aviation. That is not the story, although I accept that it has been on this forum.

The piece is factual, uncontroversial and balanced and merely echoes what is already in the public domain but with a full statement of facts from RAFM Hendon.

Member for

19 years 11 months

What a poorly-written piece, full of political bias, factual inaccuracies and spelling and grammatical errors. Whoever 'The Pipeline' are, I would strongly suggest that they at least engage the services of a proof reader. No wonder that the person who cobbled this together (largely from posts on this forum, it would appear) conveniently neglected to attach their name to it.

there is a strangely familiar name on the sidebar though...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1SaQVakJ-w

Member for

24 years 2 months

So there is. One Mr Brockman. Not doing himself any favours there I suggest.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Poor old Mortimer Wheeler must be spinning in his grave to have had his name appropriated by such an amateurish bedroom publishing operation.

Member for

24 years 2 months

:)

Strangely not a mention of an imminent report.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Mark12187/Brockman%20Burma%2001a_zpsp4fskyub.jpg

Member for

19 years 11 months

I hope you have made a similar approach to Kennet, as they have received an unfair lambasting for their part in the recovery in the mainstream media, without all the facts being investigated, IMO

Could you elaborate on this as i am not aware of any 'unfair lambasting', I think the mainstream media have been critical of the RAFM and the deal that they struck? I am aware that Mr Manna feels that he/Kennet is being criticised but that is hardly the same thing.

Personally I don't really care about the deal, I am interested in Dennis Copping. If people want to state that a search was made then why can those details not be released to the family? If this was done then surely that would mitigate any unfair criticism wouldn't it? The family have been kept completely in the dark about the activities that have taken place during the recovery, they have been fed misleading and wholly incorrect information by JCCC and public speeches have taken place without any of this being presented to the family. Lets not forget as far as the UK media is concerned the first interviews and information they received was from the RAFM with interviews on the national television news herlding the impending arrival of 'their' Kittyhawk. This furore over the deal struck by the RAFM and Kennet came into the mainstream media via the RAFM museum themselves when they published their yearly statement of accounts (which they have to do as they are publicly funded), So while you are busy crying that the poor RAFM and certain parties feel hard done by now that people are asking difficult questions spare a thought for them!

Member for

19 years 11 months

Still no response to my question? I can only assume that there has not actually been any 'unfair lambasting'? No comments regarding the treatment of Dennis Coppings family? No surprise there!