U.K. Travel Tips

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 1 month

...... Let's just say my stay in the U.K. isn't exactly temporary.....

If you have lots of time then you ought to get the latest edition of "Wrecks and Relics" by Ken Ellis. This not only includes all of the UK's air museums but gate guards, civil (and the odd military) airfields with a high count of historic aeroplanes (such as North Weald), private collections, etc. Arranged alphabetically in county then town/village location it has good indices for both locations and aircraft type.

Roger Smith.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I have no links with the place, but I love The Museum of Berkshire Aviation at Woodley. No gimmicks, just lots to look at, plus great, attentive, knowledgeable staff too.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Don't worry too much about visiting 'Stonedhenge' - Avebury is just up the road and is really nice : )

Member for

11 years 6 months

But not as impressive, Baz....:)

Member for

16 years 3 months

There is of course 'historic aviation' to be had if you visit Stonehenge.
The new visitors centre is at the road junction known as Airman's Corner and the memorial stone commemorating the first RFC fatal crash in 1912 is now between the car park and the visitors centre. If you then feel the need to go and see the stones you will pass another memorial cross to a 1913 crash. Once at the stones the field to the west was the sight of RAF Stonehenge and was the home to HP 0/400 and to the north east is Larkhill where some of the earliest structures built to house aircraft can still be seen. Nearby in Amesbury (the oldest continually inhabited town in Britain) the George pub hosts the Amesbury Aviation Collection, which explains all the historic aviation that has happened in the area.
A bus ride from Stonehenge is the city of Salisbury which has on it northern edge the WW1 vintage airfield of Old Sarum which houses the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection.
Salisbury would make a good base as apart from these collections it is also close to Middle Wallop and its museum, Southampton for Solent Sky and Yeovilton for the FAAM and central London is only a one and a half hour train ride away.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Don't worry too much about visiting 'Stonedhenge' - Avebury is just up the road and is really nice : )

Too true! If Stonehenge is a church then Avebury is a cathedral.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Just a quick question off topic. What is the exact date of the 1912 crash. I only ask because the RFC suffered a crash at Port Meadow, Oxford the same year and I'd be interested to know which was the first. I'm not sure if it was the first Aviation fatal crash in Oxfordshire or even if it was the first RFC fatal in the county. All I know for sure is that the airfield there was established as on of the first RFC stations.

Member for

14 years 1 month

It was 5th July.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Port Meadow crash was about September, remembering the centenary commemoration recently. I'm fairly certain it was the second RFC crash, so I expect Sabrejet is right.

Adrian

Member for

24 years 3 months

Wow! I don't know how I'll ever see all these places, but I'm damn well going to give it a try. I want to track down some Hurricanes and Phantoms. :)

Member for

18 years 2 months

The aviation museum guide website in #32 is a good starting point but I suggest that you be a little careful when using it as some of the entries are out of date.

Member for

13 years 1 month

+1 to twinotter23 post - also if planning long trips out check the museum opening times - some are only open limited periods.
A bit of research and you can find some hidden gems out and about.

Good luck and enjoy!

Member for

16 years 3 months

I can offer you a private viewing of the (as yet unrestored) ex-Vandy 1, Black Bunny Phantom, 153783 cockpit, Phantom II?

Contact me via PM if you're interested.

Anon.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I've just had another quick look at the website and in the East Midlands section one of the sites that is still listed closed several years ago; and the pricing etc. at others is well out of date.

Member for

20 years 8 months

The Port Meadow crash was about September, remembering the centenary commemoration recently. I'm fairly certain it was the second RFC crash, so I expect Sabrejet is right.

Adrian

Thanks both of you for the replies. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm an aviation and history nut who doesn't know much about the aviation history of my home county.

Member for

19 years 5 months

If you're anywhere in East Anglia you're close to a wartime USAAF or RAF airfield.
The local tourist information offices have/had? a nice brochure on the subject.

If you're going south, try Manston and the pub seen in The Battle of Britain film.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Ok, I'll bite as you've got me thinking. You'll need a car but a trip along the south east coast takes some beating.

Start at Reculver where Bouncing Bomb tests were undertaken and head to Manston for the RAF Museum & Spitfire and Hurricane Museum. Down to Dover Castle for where Bleriot landed and the Secret Wartime Tunnels you can spend a day here alone. There's also a spectacular view over the harbour from the old gun battery. From here head to Capel-le-Ferne & Hawkinge for the Battle of Britain Memorial & the superb Museum. A rolling stone gathers no moss so onwards to the Romney Marshes for the Dungeness Sound Mirrors, Brenzett Museum & Lydd airport for some general avaiation. If you still haven't had enough, head to Headcorn Aerodrome to watch some skydivers and visit the Lashenden Air Warfare Museum.

Here's the route and to get round all of that properly will take you over a week lol http://goo.gl/maps/LurBJ

Member for

13 years 7 months

Just did a trip.

Dux was amazing.
Cosford is also excellent (stay in Telford, the Park Inn gives discounts if you say you are there for RAFM. Telford is also easy train trip from Cosford)
Hendon RAFM is also a must see, but I think not as good as Cosford.

I am sure others mentioned are well worth trip.

Note the Science Museum in London has a number very notable displays, worth a stop if time allows.