PR out of Netheravon

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 1 month

This is a long shot I know but I am curious , I was recently given an aerial photograph of a house I lived in as a child . The only information I have about it is that it was taken by a Squadron Leader John Drinkwater and he was based at Netheravon at the time , the photo was taken sometime between 1953 and 1957 . Is there any chance of finding out the aircraft type that might have been used ?

Original post

Member for

12 years 4 months

Netheravon was the RAF Police Training station for most of the 1950's. I went there as an air cadet in 1956 and I don't recall any aircraft being actually based there (lots of dogs though!) and it was only a grass runway. However there were regular visits from an Anson, so maybe there's your answer.
Regards
Bill

Member for

17 years 1 month

Thank you , that is interesting as the guy the photo was supplied by was said to be involved with Intelligence rather than flying . I think I was hoping for maybe a Spitfire PRXIX or Meteor PR9 , but an Anson will do .

Member for

17 years 8 months

Could it have been taken by a member of the RAFGSA Moonrakers Gliding club. I first flew from Netheravon in 1960. I'm not sure how long the club had been there but it's membership included all ranks and services.

John

Member for

17 years 1 month

No I do not think so , as it was taken earlier than that ,I believe the guy involved had family near where I lived in Hertfordshire and the picture was taken on a visit to them .

Member for

17 years 8 months

RAF Upavon was 'on't t'other hill' and as HQ Transport hosted quite a large Station Flight, Ansons (at least 3) and a Devon (I flew in both types). It's possible the photo could have been taken from one of these. This is the best I can do.

John

Member for

16 years 7 months

I was recently given an aerial photograph of a house I lived in as a child

I believe the guy involved had family near where I lived in Hertfordshire and the picture was taken on a visit to them

OHOPE, where is the house in the photograph? It seems that previous posters have assumed it to be near Netheravon - which may be the case - but by reference to the second quote above, it's possible to deduce that it wasn't in Wiltshire but in Hertfordshire. And if it's the latter, I can understand why you say that you don't think that it was taken from a glider operating out of Netheravon!

Member for

17 years 1 month

The house in question is near Hitchin in Hertfordshire and is currently a Sue Ryder Home , but in the mid 1950's was in use as a school .