Campaign for memorial to WW2 fighter pilot who crashed in Heston

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

The story of Gaston Riggs crash in a P51B Mustang at Heston has been covered before on the forum. There is now a campaign to have a memorial plaque placed in the area of his crash, the actual crash site is now covered by the M4 motorway, on the 70th Anniversary.

Details here of campaign here....

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/local-news/campaign-memorial-heroic-ww2-fighter-8356013

In February 1945, an American fighter plane, soon after take off from Heston, had an engine problem and tried to land but the wing tip hit the corner of the farmhouse virtually destroying the workshop. No one in the house was hurt but the fighter pilot died in the crash. It was a P-51B, a/c sn 43-6785, flown by 1st Lt. Gaston Riggs on an approach to Heston from Fowlmere; one report mentions that it happened during an engine failure on takeoff and that a wingtip caught the house as Lt. Riggs tried to return to the base. As a result of the damage, 91 North Hyde Lane, Heston, had to be demolished.

Original post

Member for

15 years 7 months

AFAIK Lt. Riggs was on a training flight from Fowlmere, had engine trouble at altitude within sight of Heathrow (under construction), attempted an emergency landing at Heston but crashed short on Grange Farm hitting the farmhouse at 91 North Hyde Lane. Riggs was extricated by passers-by and a police officer from Heston but was DoA at W. Middlesex Hospital. His wingman, who filed a report, landed at Northolt. The damaged house stood for several years post-war, site now under the M4. (AFAIK no take-off from Heston involved)

Member for

15 years 7 months

A wreath will be laid at noon today near the crash-site of Gaston Riggs P-51 Mustang at the north-east end of the M4 bridge, intersection of North Hyde Lane and Fern Lane

EDIT DUE TO UNSUITABILITY OF NORTHEAST END OF M4 BRIDGE THE WREATH WILL BE LAID AT THE SOUTHEAST END INTERSECTION NORTH HYDE LANE/HESTON GRANGE LANE/HESTON PARK ENTRANCE

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sadly I can't make it. this was a story I grew up with having lived nearby as a kid.
How is the campaign for the permanent memorial going?

Member for

15 years 7 months

Sorry about short notice but I had to be sure I could get to Heston...note ALTERATION ... wreath laying is by Park Entrance, Southeast end of M4 bridge, noon today.
Re permanent memorial, we're looking into a sponsored tree (which would include a modest plaque)

Member for

15 years 7 months

Riggs headstone in Houston

photo RiggsPlaqueHousto2015_zpsheh1ajft.jpg

Wreath, Heston, 26Feb2015, with Keith (ex British Army, Barbados Army and Police) who lives overlooking the crash site

photo 26Feb2015c800_zpsppr5ohoz.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

Pleased to see Keith will be keeping an eye on the wreath. Clearly you'd not want to mess with this guy!

Member for

9 years 8 months

I am a volunteer database operative for War Memorials Trust. Please could you folks post as much info about this memorial as possible.
Then I will enter it into the Imperial War Museums National Inventory. Unless anyone has any objections ?.

Of course I will also check with:
[email]colinbear@btinternet.com[/email].