Bomber Command Centre struggling

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

'Lincolnshire Bomber Command Memorial spokesman Chris Heighton said: "It is really important that the memorial is a location of remembrance but we also want to do something that is culturally significant'

This was from two years ago -as soon as you want something that is 'culturally significant' the cost for some reason seems to rise. There is a fine line between memorial and
art !

In terms of what we already have that is 'significant' -there the the impressive 617 memorial at Woodhall Spa -the windows in Lincoln Cathedral - Thorpe Camp museum - East Kirkby (Just Jane) -the BBMF visitor centre (PA474) -Metheringham and numerous smaller memorials scattered at former airfields in the county.

There might be a perception that Lincolnshire isn't doing a great deal to commemorate Bomber Command - I would argue that Lincolnshire as a county has done Bomber Command proud over the years.

Member for

16 years 7 months

It’s true that a number of organisations (some are charities, some are businesses and some are a mixture of the two) are doing a good job of honouring the memory of those who served but I think there is still room for a memorial that includes the names of all those who were lost.
I am guessing, but perhaps the ‘culturally significant’ bit is required to attract lottery funding.
I’m all in favour of the general East Midlands area continuing to grow as a cornerstone of aviation heritage, so onward and upward to all involved in 2015.

Member for

13 years 6 months

:confused: http://www.lincsbombercommandmemorial.com/

Charlie - I also agree with Mike J's comment, please see post #21; WADR you also underestimate the team behind the Canwick project and for clarity I'm not one of them!

Was an Internet outage from UK it seems. Could not get to any UK sites, but US and perhaps others no problem.

All good now. :)

Member for

18 years 2 months

I’m glad that you’re able to access the site again Flying_Pencil.

It is my understanding that the stage one pass for HLF funding mainly covers the digital aspects of the project i.e. the database, Log Book scanning, education offer etc.; and very little relates to the ‘bricks and mortar’ aspects of the scheme.

As posted before I feel it is a worthy project and I will continue to support it; and I wish it well for 2015 and beyond! :)

Member for

14 years 4 months

I would like to point out that there is already a Bomber Command Memorial, this is in Lincoln Cathedral, together with the Memorial Books, which when dedicated was attended by many of those who survived the bombing campaign. I'm sure the educational aspect of the proposed Canwick Hill site, could be more than met by the minster. As for the a spire being seen, read any book relating to wartime flying and you will find that it is the towers of Lincoln Cathedral that are mentioned.

Member for

24 years 2 months

A dusty corner in an old building which otherwise is devoted to the aggrandisement of an imaginary being?

I confess to having been very underwhelmed.

Yes, the towers featured large in the wartime flyers lives. They don't today commemorate the brave men, but instead symbolise religion, the most frequent cause of war .

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

Is religion the most frequent cause of war ? I would say that the German reasons for attacking in WWII was land -resources and a resentment of how the country was crippled post WWI by the Allied reparations!

Religion is often given as a reason for war -in reality there is often a financial reason -in oil or precious resources!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I certainly wasn't suggesting it was the cause of WW2.

Moggy