Halifax crash Aberhafesp

Member for

8 years 3 months

Down in Aberhafesp : the story of the Halifax aircraft crash at Glascoed Bwlch-y-Ffridd

Author: Brian Poole; St. Gwynnog's Church (Aberhafesp, Wales)
Publisher: Aberhafesp : Aberhafesp Church, 1998.
Edition/Format: Book : English
Database: WorldCat
Rating:
(not yet rated) 0 with reviews - Be the first.
Subjects
Aircraft accidents -- Wales -- Aberhafesp.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Wales -- Aberhafesp.
Aircraft accidents.

Does anyone have a copy of this book or more details of the event? The crash site is very close to where I used to live and having been home for Xmas I've just found out about this. Any info would be welcom

Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

Well here is a starter for 10 on Halifax DG358.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?11229-Possible-air-crash-23-Jan-1944-Newtown-District-Montgomeryshire-Wales

The unit ORB at The National Archives gives only a brief mention

[ATTACH=CONFIG]234221[/ATTACH]

More details are contained in the Form1180 Accident card which can be obtained from the RAF Museum, Hendon

Regards
Ross

Attachments
Profile picture for user wieesso

Member for

13 years 6 months

January 23, 1944

The location was Cwm Farm, Bryn y Groes, Bwlch y Fridd

Halifax DG358, Accident occured at 14.40 hrs the 1180 states Assumed lost control in storm with icing, lightning and engine trouble, followed by structual failure, during the enquiry it was also noted that the Starboard outer engine showed signs of failure, starboard wing failed upwards starboard tail smashed, icing present.

AIB, STATED was flying at 20,000 feet, before crash hail storm at time, probably engine failure, Pilot descended into cloud which turned out to be storm. A fairly detailed account of the crash is shown in Chorley's Bomber command losses vol 8 page 85, in Nov 98, a service of dedication was conducted at ABERHAFESP church, the Church warden prepared a booklet called "DOWN IN ABERHAFESP".

Source as mentioned in #2

Martin

Member for

8 years 3 months

Thanks very much Martin and Ross. Such a brilliant forum this, grateful for your time looking this up for me. Should anyone have a copy of the book I'd be grateful of a borrow/buy. Will be visiting the site next time I'm over.