Spitfire - Slow Running Cutout Introduction?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Does anyone know when the slow running cutout was introduced on the MK.I?

I've looked at the Mod lists for the MK I that are in 'Spitfire - The History', but can't find it amongst them.

Cheers

Paul

Original post

Member for

14 years 11 months

According to the issued leaflet, Modification 43 "To introduce slow running cut-out control" dates from 30-6-40.

Member for

24 years 2 months

According to the issued leaflet, Modification 43 "To introduce slow running cut-out control" dates from 30-6-40.

Thanks very much Edgar!

Cheers

Paul

Member for

24 years 2 months

Edgar,

I meant to ask also when the powered hydraulic system was introduced, as I can't see that in the Mod lists in 'Spitfire - The History' either!

Cheers

Paul

Member for

14 years 11 months

It's something I've never found, either. The only mention, that I've seen, is in Amendment 10 to the 1st edition of A.P.1565A, dated April 1940, which includes an instruction to include all the details of the new retraction system; whether that pre-dated the change, or was playing catch-up, I haven't a clue.
Just to add a note of confusion to your first enquiry, I missed mod 118 "To reposition hole in frame 8 for slow-running cut-out introduced by Alt 43," and is dated 17-11-39, which hints at the cut-out having been introduced earlier than the date on the leaflet. Sorry about that, but the Spitfire/Seafire ledger can be a minefield.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks again Edgar.

No worries about missing mod 118!

And interesting that you've not seen a definitive mod for the powered hydraulic system.

As regards the Spitfire/Seafire ledger being a 'minefield', I've seen your posts on about Spitfire mods on other forums, and got that impression too!

Cheers

Paul