Gathering of Chipmunks - Old Warden - Friday 22 May 2015

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

For all Chipmunk owners, operators, pilots, ex-cadets, Air Experience personnel and enthusiasts etc ...
... to celebrate the anniversary of the first flight of the Chipmunk ...
... there will be a Gathering of Chipmunks at Old Warden Aerodrome on Friday 22 May 2015.
(Please note this is not a Shuttleworth-organised event)

All UK Chipmunk owners have been invited and a few from Europe too. 48 have registered so far. More to follow.

Has there ever been a larger gathering of Chipmunks?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/Aviatrix/Chipmunk%20Gathering%20Poster%202015_zpskibcla7a.jpg

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

There is no truth in the rumour that there are buried, crated Chipmunks at Old Warden.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Weather permitting, I'm hoping to take The Shiny Colt as a little bit of variety....after all, Chipmunks are sooooo boring....!!! ?

Member for

16 years 11 months

Just out of interest, I'm sure there is a Chipmunk expert out there ? how many airworthy Chipmunks in the UK are out there ?

Member for

20 years 7 months

There are currently 120 Chipmunks on the UK register. A number of those are under rebuild, restoration or long-term maintenance. A number are serviceable but very rarely flown.

There are 53 currently registered for the Gathering. I am currently trying to ascertain which of the remaining 60+ can physically make it, plus [fingers crossed] the BBMF.

Don't forget, outside of the UK, there are serviceable Chipmunks in Scandinavia, France, Germany, Portuguese Air Force, S.Africa, Australia, NZ and the U.S.

There will be a few arriving from overseas. I did invite the Portuguese Air Force. Had it not been for the distance and expense, I think they may have come.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think there might be a few in Canada too Janie. After all, they did invent them! ;)

Member for

20 years 7 months

G-AKDN for one! Thanks Mike. I thought I would leave a few out just to see if anyone was paying attention! xx

Member for

18 years 1 month

There is also this one at Lausanne in Switzerland.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/apollo-fox/IMG_1997a_zps66gjlvkm.jpg[/URL]

Member for

20 years 7 months

If that's G-BBRV, the owner has been invited, but I have yet to receive a response. Do you know the owner? It would be really good to include them.

For the record there are also Chipmunks in The Netherlands, Austia and Spain.

Any more?

Member for

18 years 1 month

Yes it was G-BBRV. I can contact the group and ask them to get in touch with you.

Member for

20 years 7 months

That would be wonderful. They can use the email on the poster at the top of this thread.

Member for

18 years 1 month

OK, emails sent to my friends!

Member for

18 years 1 month

Reply already from Didier Butty: we got the invitation but (so far) we can't make it.

me: I wish I was still current on Chipmunks!

Member for

24 years 2 months

G-BBRV should have been cancelled off the U.K register a good while ago ! Her former operator has been in Australia for probably five years now!

Member for

20 years 7 months

G-BBRV should have been cancelled off the U.K register a good while ago
It was.

Laurence: Many thanks again for asking. There is still enough time to re-qualify on Chipmunks. There's enough time to get a pilot's licence and qualify on Chipmunks!

Member for

18 years 1 month

Thanks for the idea Janie! I flew with Oxford UAS in the 1960s and did indeed begin to convert back to HB-TUT / WD347, but my medical got in the way!

Member for

20 years 7 months

57 Chipmunks are now registered for this. There are only 14 morning landing slots left - plenty of room after midday though.
FREE entry!

Member for

20 years 7 months

58 Chipmunks now.

Occasionally we get a new one added and another pulling out.
Any which way, there should be 50-60 Chipmunks, plus a couple of Bulldogs and who knows what else may tag along.
01767 627 927 option 3 to book a landing slot.

Landing is free.
Entrance to view the runway
by car is free. Park near the fence.
The only charge is if you choose to view the Collection aircraft. £15.

Member for

13 years

As a matter of interest, as I will be arriving by road with camera, what time do the morning arrival 'slots' start?

Really do hope that our current changeable weather cooperates, as clearly a great deal has gone into organising this event.

Member for

20 years 7 months

There are 10 slots per every 30 minutes from 0900 onwards. Almost all the slots are taken from 0900-12:30.
The largest number of Chipmunks on the ground should be from around 1230, give or take.

If you wish to go liveside, please report to the dedicated volunteer stationed at the base of tower. Everyone liveside must be chaperoned.

We are aiming to get a formation up very very approximately after 2pm. If the nice man in the tower advises there is nothing to conflict we hope to do a flypast at 500'.

I am looking for someone to provide a cameraship for a photographer. Please let me know if you can help, or know a man who can.