Gloster Meteor NF12 instrument panel help - some oddities

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 1 month

Hi, Another "Homer" I am working on in my man cave, have been advised it is an NF12 centre panel, the left and right panels I have had for ages but I think are fairly generic across the marks.

There is an odd cut-out on the left of the main panel - looks to me to be a mod of somekind as you can see file marks? when you offer up the left panel it leaves a nasty hole, does anyone know what would have been fitted in this space please? :confused:

Second question, there is another mod on the left panel itself, a cut-out section just under the lettering "Wing On" again can anyone shed any light on this please - what should be in there to fill the gap etc.

Lastly, if anyone can advise me on what lights and switches I need to complete the set of 3 panels (with ref numbers ideally) I would be very grateful, this is not my area of expertise! If anyone has any bits and bobs to fill any of the gaps that are available at non ebay prices if you catch my drift then please contact me.

Over to the Meteor experts!!

Attachments
Original post

Member for

11 years 1 month

Looked over a few old photos and drawings, would say that:

The vertical gap between the main panel and the Port panel is where the three AYF Radio Altimeter limit lamps 'poke through', perhaps mounted to a supplementary plate just behind. The AYF gauge itself would have been to the lower left of the main panel hanging under your Machmeter, has that little panel 'outcrop' been removed too?

The oblong cutout is nasty isn't it? Fuel selectors? Belly Tank - Wing Tank. Also just there I noted the pull handle for Ventral Tank (i.e. Belly) Jettison.

Hmmm. Limited resources this end, but worth a stab!

Cheers
JK

Member for

16 years 1 month

Hi JK, Thanks for the imput.

The AYF gauge plate has indeed been cut off at the time I suspect but makes no sense that the lamps were installed if the AYF gauge was removed?? (not sure for what reason that would be?).

Yes the cut out on the left panel must have been done at about 5pm on a Friday and I suspect beer might have been on the fitters mind! would the "selectors" be the standard AM 5c 543 switches?

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi Redhillwings

TMk7 PNs give the game away I reckon ... no idea why the area would be cut out, post-Mod 1841 refers, but not convinced your particular hole ever saw service - they certainly managed to delete the 'OFF' position!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]236233[/ATTACH]

Seeking a pic of the lever ....

JK

Attachments

Member for

11 years 1 month

Random picture, credit unknown (apols, Brazilian forum?) but gives a feel:

Attachments

Member for

18 years 2 months

I took some pictures of the NF12 cockpit(s) at NAM a couple of years ago to help with a similar enquiry; a couple of shots are attached.

PM me a postal address if you would like a CD of high-res images! :)

Attachments

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hi Redhill,
Yes!!!! a few odd cut outs in there for sure. My best thoughts are:-

1) The 2 edge cut outs (one port /one stbd outer panels) look to me like clearances cut to clear pipes when fitting /removing panels.

2) The oblong very unfinished cut out under WING ON could be fitted with an insert patch if you needed to get back to having metal there again. and

3) I'm pretty sure the Big left hand cut out with UP DOWN and NEUTRAL lettered in is either Undercart selector handle assy. or maybe a Flaps one.

Terry P and ANON are around and they would know.

Bill T.

Member for

16 years 2 months

The H-shaped cutout is for the flaps/undercart lever assembly. This bolts to the main structure of the cockpit so therefore the plate in the middle of the LH panel needs to come off to allow the levers to be "threaded" through the gap as the pane itself is fitted. There should be a rectangular central panel between the levers but this is missing on your panel. It is flaps - LH side, u/c - RH side.

This lever assembly is quite crude and heavy, fabricated from sheet and cast/machined components. See pic below as to what this assembly looks like "from the factory", so to speak.

Above this, where the large (in this case badly cut out) rectangular opening is, is where the ventral tank jettison handle goes (at least it does on the F.8 and T.7 variants). This is a T-shaped handle which operates a Teleflex cable to a bomb-type release mechanism in the belly of the aircraft.

Two holes at top right are for the engine fire extinguisher push-buttons. Below and left of that is the canopy jettison handle and below these would be the cabin altitude gauge (10 - 40,000ft). On the main panel the horizon is (obviously) missing and to the left of this would be the altimeter. Lower central is the G-4F (or whatever was in the later Meteors) compass and low down on the RH side would probably be a clock. I say probably as I have seen various things in these lower pedestal positions including generator warning lights, rectangular and circular oil pressure gauges.

Just at the top, on the RH side on the little bracket would be fitted the E.2A standby compass. though this was probably changed to an E.2B (the same but with a built-in light) in the night fighters.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]236248[/ATTACH]

Anon.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 1 month

Many thanks for all the info some of which I am still digesting! twin otter will send my address as high res pics will be very useful thank you.

Would the fire extinguisher push buttons be the shrouded type or with a flip up cover?

Re left hand cut out for jettison handle why would this not be mounted direct onto the panel? Presume it had a metal bracket of some description. Is this panel suitable to use along side an nf11 panel?

Again bit confused about the cutout on the left of the main panel, reading these comments it would seem I need 3 indicator lights but again why not mount direct onto panel? Seems extreme to cut out a hole then make a separate plate.

I am thinking of making up some kind of display rig incorporating a front screen but cannot get my head around what that very heavy armour plate screen mounts onto. I almost need to climb inside one and stick my head up under the instrument panel.

Thanks again to everyone it's beginning to come together.

Member for

16 years 2 months

The rectangular cut-out near the top of the LH panel is not original and looks to be an amateurish attempt at fitting something else. Originally, there would have just been a hole for the jettison handle and a u/c warning light, which is what probably went in the small circular hole next to it.

There was also a placard stating PULL TO JETTISON BELLY TANK above the handle. It looks as if this may have been painted or etched on your panel as the letters ...LY may be the remains of the instruction stated above. It might be a good idea to fill in the rectangular hole, unless someone can produce a copy of the pilot's notes for the NF and say what went there if it was different to the above, and obtain a jettison handle. This has a four-hole flange of about 1.5 ins diameter to mount it to the panel.

Anon.