Meteor F.8 aileron trim tabs.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 8 months

I am in urgent need of the reason why there are two types of aileron tabs on used various Mk's of Meteor. I am specifically interested in those of the F.8 and FR.9 The two types seem to be mixed across a number of Mk's so any help and chronological data would be gratefully received.

John

Original post

Member for

15 years 2 months

Probably not much help:
p408 Item 8 26EH/9961 pn Z91536 (Port)
p408 Item 9 26EH/9962 pn Z91537 (Stbd)
p408 Item 12 26EH10512 pn Z95983 (Port)
p408 Item 13 26EH10513 pn Z95984 (Stbd)
p413 Item 19 26EH/6433 pn Z66560 (port)
p413 Item 20 26EH/6434 pn Z66561 (Stbd)

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

The Meteor suffered particularly badly during its gestation from heavy aileron loads - especially as speed increased. Spring Tabs were fitted to help with trimming but a final solution was the Servo Tab, which was fitted to all Mk's of Meteor right up until the last of the NF series.

The Servo Tab came in with the later F.4's and was standard on the Mk.8 - though with many versions of Meteors in the air in the 1950's (Mk's 4, 7, 8 and the NF series) many types of trim tab could be seen as the problem was worked through and solved. The final (successful) combination was an aileron trim tab and balance tab on each aileron covering the entire trailing of that control surface.

Anon.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Perhaps the Temora Aviation Museum could be of assistance. www.aviationmuseum.au They have two Mk.8s - one static

Member for

17 years 8 months

The Meteor suffered particularly badly during its gestation from heavy aileron loads - especially as speed increased. Spring Tabs were fitted to help with trimming but a final solution was the Servo Tab, which was fitted to all Mk's of Meteor right up until the last of the NF series.

The Servo Tab came in with the later F.4's and was standard on the Mk.8 - though with many versions of Meteors in the air in the 1950's (Mk's 4, 7, 8 and the NF series) many types of trim tab could be seen as the problem was worked through and solved. The final (successful) combination was an aileron trim tab and balance tab on each aileron covering the entire trailing of that control surface.

Anon.

Excellent gentlemen, Thank you Terry P and Anon. I now see why there are a confusing number of aileron types in use over the same time frame. I know the Spring-tab type were to reduce the aileron forces for RP use.

Thank you again, QED.

John