V-1 Replica

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 1 month

This is quite neat.:cool:
RC Model V1 Buzz Bomb, or Fiesler Fi 103R. Raido controlled Model built to Fly as part of the Classic Fighter Airshow at Omaka Airfield, Blenheim NZ

Original post

Member for

15 years 3 months

That is excellent, and very imaginative, not sure it would be allowed in the UK? All they need now is a Tempest to shoot it down with!

Member for

11 years 3 months

Brilliant! Well Done!

Member for

14 years 6 months

That is excellent, and very imaginative, not sure it would be allowed in the UK? All they need now is a Tempest to shoot it down with!

No reason why it would not be allowed to fly in the UK. The only power plant banned in the UK for r/c models is Pulse Jets. Also if the model is over 20kg (IIRC) the model needs to be inspected whilst under construction under a scheme agreed with the CAA and operated by the Large Model Association.

Anyway..........very imaginative model though especially taking off from the ramp.

Member for

24 years 3 months

That's very impressive - the only thing that's really wrong is the noise! Other than that, how much closer to the real thing has anyone else got...?

Adrian

Member for

14 years 11 months

Watched hundreds of those effing things for real. FFS bring on something to shoot it down.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Very impressive!

Does anybody know if it is actually 1:1 scale?

The only real giveaway that those are not photographs (thanks by the way!) of the real thing in flight is the arrangement of the 'Argus duct' behind the five electric motors. I wonder why the motors couldn't be enclosed completely and ducted right to the end of the tailpipe; loss of thrust down the duct I suppose?

Member for

16 years 3 months

I was wondering about that motor too, CD. Also the scale, it looks around 3/4 or 4/5 scale to me.

Interesting and exciting project. It reminds me that there is a great deal of surprising aviation activity in NZ - remarkable given the geographical size and population of the country.

Anon.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Very impressive!

Does anybody know if it is actually 1:1 scale?

The only real giveaway that those are not photographs (thanks by the way!) of the real thing in flight is the arrangement of the 'Argus duct' behind the five electric motors. I wonder why the motors couldn't be enclosed completely and ducted right to the end of the tailpipe; loss of thrust down the duct I suppose?

From the WONZ forum post I linked to:

We can develop it further to increase authenticity and relaibility. A pneumatic ram is next and fully enclosed motor pod.

And for scale:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8782/16890023589_8abfe5c686_c.jpgWell done team! by errolgc, on Flickr

Member for

15 years 4 months

What a bewdy, Kiwi's would have to be one of the most aviation oriented communities. Why at airshows do people want to see things shot down in a simulated way? The strafing runs with 1000 litres of fuel erupting at the back of the airfield and machine guns played over the loudspeaker fools nobody. Or the Spitfire shooting down the Buchon trailing smoke? Do people just like the flames? Just some spirited flying satisfies me, am I the odd one out?

Member for

17 years 6 months

From the WONZ forum post I linked to...

Sorry, I missed that in your link.

Difficult to guess the scale? I'd say it wasn't to a consistent scale; looks more-or-less 1:1 from the wings forward but seems a bit 'shrunken' behind the wings. I think the actual Argus duct was about 12 feet long. The wingspan too looks a bit 'stretched' in some of the video? Overall, I guess lengthwise it is about 3/4 scale; spanwise I guess it is close to 1:1 scale?

No criticism intended; I'm not understating the technical challenges! The weight distribution of a flying V1 model must be quite a challenge; the fuel-tank of the real thing is between the wings and there is a one ton warhead in front of that.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Lovely model. I wonder, does it carry an emergency chute ?

Member for

19 years 3 months

No reason why it would not be allowed to fly in the UK. The only power plant banned in the UK for r/c models is Pulse Jets. Also if the model is over 20kg (IIRC) the model needs to be inspected whilst under construction under a scheme agreed with the CAA and operated by the Large Model Association.

Anyway..........very imaginative model though especially taking off from the ramp.

That can't be true, pulse jets fly at Weston Park model show every year. Unless its a NZ thing.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
QldSpitty,
The thing I don't understand is surely there are plenty intact actual WWII pulse jet engines aren't there ? with so many being in museums and if I am not mistaken I seem to remember a chap actually rebuilding these in Germany somewhere ? So why not try and have one of them running unless there are none in good enough condition what would be the problem ? That's not to take anything away from all the team and their amazing achievement :applause::eagerness: Maybe a restored WWII pulse engine is on the cards now they have figured out the working of the replica who knows what will be their next project great news for all concerned. :)

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 11 months

A working pulse jet is not for the faint-hearted (nor for any one with any sense for that matter). Extremely noisely and effectively on/off only. It would have been ok for a one-way mission more or less in a straight line, but if you tried to do less than all out speed manoeuvring in a fairly confined area, you would probably get out of control and crash into the spectators or something equally inconvenient. Substituting ducted fan or even turbojet propulsion seems the only feasible way. I wonder if the structure of this reduced scale replica is relatively lightweight because if it isn't the device would fly and manoeuvre like a brick.