A Lockheed Electra 10A Flies Home after 75 years

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 6 months

Today, after four years of rebuilding and restoration in America, a 1937 vintage Lockheed Electra 10A touched down in Prague after a journey which started on May 21. It's believed to be the only airworthy example of its type anywhere.

The aircraft has quite a history. It was initially intended to go to Amelia Earhart, but was instead purchased directly off the assembly line by Czech businessman Jan Antonin Bata who used it for business purposes. Shortly after the Munich Agreement was signed, the aircraft was secretly flown out of Czech territory and eventually ended up in Britain and pressed into military service. It found its way into Canadian military service in the post war years.

Here's a link to the story covering today's arrival:

http://www.radio.cz/en/section/curraffrs/batas-lockheed-electra-plane-returns-after-more-than-75-years

This article will give you a bit more insight into the restoration:

http://www.international-pilot.com/bata-lockheed-electra-returns-home-to-czech-republic/

I'm seriously looking forward to seeing this old girl at some shows around here.

Original post

Member for

17 years 8 months

Shortly after the Munich Agreement was signed, the aircraft was secretly flown out of Czech territory

Not correct, it was actually on a business trip to Krakow, Poland with Bata executives, when Germany occupied Czechoslovakia in March 1939. They refused to fly back to Czechoslovakia. The crew contacted Bata in the UK for instructions what to do and they were instructed to fly the aircraft to Yugoslavia, Greece, France and then to England. Two of the crew, Jan Serhant, pilot, and Oldrich Dolezal, wireless-operator then joined the RAF.

Member for

9 years 6 months

Ah, thanks for the clarification on that.

I was just taking the word of a couple of articles I found relating to it, I didn't have too much time to dive deep into it when I made my initial post.