Aeroplane Icons - your thoughts?

Member for

14 years 11 months

Despite the near demise of the above archive due to the waterworks incident :mad:

There are pictures out there of aircraft, but nobody has ever succeeded in get a BIG archive together.... I suspect that everyone that has read this forum in the last ## odd years has a collection, but getting it together and managing it would be no mean feat in itself.

And how many veterans relatives have binned stuff they didn't know what to do with? let alone the manufacturers that have done it.....

T

Profile picture for user charliehunt

Member for

7 years 2 months

And it could be argued that the Piper Cub established the mould from which the Cessna grew.

Member for

8 years 6 months

Don't forget that little firm at Reading and the company down the road at Newbury.
(Miles and Elliots)

Profile picture for user J Boyle

Member for

15 years 1 month

And it could be argued that the Piper Cub established the mould from which the Cessna grew.

Only in terms of being a low cost GA aircraft, not so much on the airframe side.
All postwar Cessnas were metal moncoque fuselages...and wings went all metal by 1949..not Piper-style tube & fabric.
The low cost all metal Piper wouldn't come along until the advent of the Cherokee series in the early 60s.

Member for

5 years 11 months

Spitfire, I wouldn't need any persuading to tackle that subject! As ever, the main reason I've avoided it so far is the lack of decent material. Okay there is some, but not much. Sadly, even the Avro photos were sold off to a private individual :(

Profile picture for user charliehunt

Member for

7 years 2 months

Stan - by my criterion although just before my time I should have included Miles because of my father's history there as Phillips and Powis - Miles was a part of my life as a youngster and my first flight was nearly s Magister!