Found in a loft

Profile picture for user Beaufighter VI

Member for

14 years 2 months

Found in the loft of a Cambridge house built in the thirties. Gauntlet from Duxford? [ATTACH=CONFIG]238311[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]238312[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]238313[/ATTACH]
Attachment Size
IMG_3605.jpg 278.31 KB
IMG_3604.jpg 292.5 KB
IMG_3603.jpg 299.88 KB
Original post

Member for

10 years 11 months

hi, all I've got is magazine's, dust and bl***y big spider's, but there again I don't live close to a airfield...unfortunately. regards, jack...
Profile picture for user barnstormer

Member for

13 years 9 months

That is just Begging to have a vintage clock mounted in it:cool:

Member for

4 years 10 months

That is just Begging to have a vintage clock mounted in it:cool:
Noooooooooooo! ;)

Member for

13 years

hi, all I've got is magazine's, dust and bl***y big spider's, but there again I don't live close to a airfield...unfortunately. regards, jack...
Some of those old Playboys can now be quite valuable :p

Member for

14 years 2 months

Heading for the Essex Aviation Group Museum at Duxford, pop in and see it, without a clock, when you come for Flying Legends.
Profile picture for user Beermat

Member for

10 years

Just to check, where in Cambridge? Not possibly related to Marshall's old field in Barnwell, or even the new one? A lot of thirties housing there - I live in one :-)

Member for

14 years 2 months

Queen Edith's Way.

Member for

10 years 11 months

Some of those old Playboys can now be quite valuable :p
They are a little grubby, and some are a little dirty, but all are of a aeronautical flavour...and that does not mean "pilots pets". regards, jack...
Profile picture for user Meddle

Member for

5 years 1 month

Why would a prop be cut down asymmetrically like that? Under what circumstances would a previous owner have stripped the finish of it? It looks like something accumulated in the grain (?) or removed or otherwise reacted with the adhesive material between the plies (??) on the right hand side.

Member for

14 years 2 months

My thoughts are that it was recovered from a crash. There is a split on the LH side and the RH side has been cut so that it will not stand upright. Anybody have a Gauntlet crash list? There are some on the web but none in Cambridge area. Will have to look in the house deeds to see who lived there pre WW11.
Profile picture for user anneorac

Member for

19 years 10 months

How many Gauntlets were fitted with the Mercury VI S2? I thought the VI S was the standard for Gauntlets. Alex Lumsden's 'British Piston Aero-Engines' only lists the Bristol 105A, 133, 142 and Gloster SS37 (Gladiator) as having been fitted with the S2 although Putnam's Gloster book mentions the S2 having been fitted to the Gauntlet. Anne