When did Folland Aircraft start?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 3 months

Bit puzzled by an advert in a book published in 1939 as it seems to indicate that Folland was involved with the design of the Supermarine S.5 as early as 1929. I thought Folland Aircraft started quite a bit later. Does anyone know when they began and in what way they were involved with the S.5 (if that is what it is! Tail seems wrong but maybe artistic licence lol)?

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/mmx16/scan001_zpspmuvtbzu.jpg

Original post

Member for

16 years 3 months

Folland was founded as the British Marine Aircraft Company in 1936, being taken over by Henry Folland in 1937... Previously Folland had worked as chief designer at Glosters so I suspect that the aircraft in question is in fact the Gloster VI Schneider Trophy racer from 1929...

Zeb

Member for

11 years 3 months

Thanks for the exceptionally quick explanation :) I had assumed because of the location that the floatplane must have been a Supermarine. Wasn't aware of the Gloster - it's a very nice looking aircraft too.

Member for

11 years 2 months

I don't know to much about Folland themselves. But for me the Folland Gnat T1 Trainer was the best ever aeroplane in the RAF. Worked with them RAF Valley late 1960,s.

Member for

17 years 8 months

Folland credits include the SE.2, SE.4 and SE.5, The British Nieuport designs and the Grebe and Gamecock and so on to the Gladiator and F5/34.

John

Member for

11 years 3 months

Folland credits include the SE.2, SE.4 and SE.5, The British Nieuport designs and the Grebe and Gamecock and so on to the Gladiator and F5/34

Had never thought about the earlier SE series before and now I even know what it stands for lol :)
Folland seems slightly over-looked for someone with such a considerable career.