Best Spitfire book

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years

Does such a book exist for the Hurricane? :)

"Hurricane at War", Francis Mason's "Hurricane", "Hurricane special" (Ian Allen ). Nothing like the depth of coverage as the Spitfire but no doubt there will be something I've missed .

Member for

15 years 4 months

Mason's second attempt is the best overall but has a number of blindspots. (His very old one from Monogram has performance information you won't get anywhere else, but is pretty well unobtainable now.) As a second choice I'd list Rys' book from MMP, smaller but covers the subject well. The Haynes Manual is pretty good for technical information on the early aircraft. The Arms& Armour reprint of the Mk.II Manual is worth picking up. There's a number of works that present good examples of walk-arounds and sets of plans, for example the 4-volume set from AJ Press, which is particularly notable for the large and high quality presentation of the photographs with a large range of 1/48 plans. The Crowood book is not in the same class but worth considering as part of a collection.

Member for

11 years 5 months

The 1961 edition was the second reprint and just had a few corrections. I would go for that one.

There are some reasonably priced 1961s on Amazon....

Member for

15 years 7 months

Fortunately I own the Morgan/Shacklady, Spitfire International and Vol 1 of Survivors, as well as others. Question is where to find Vol 2 of Survivors.

See there is one copy of Vol 1 on Fleebay.

Member for

19 years

Does such a book exist for the Hurricane? :)

Dr Jon Leake is working on it for Air-Britain. A long way off but it will be THE definitive Hurricane book.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Well, I dunno about anyone else, but I've pre-ordered the Hurricane Survivors book. I'm looking forward to getting my mitts on it!

Member for

15 years

Yep I've ordered one too.

Member for

20 years

The 1961 edition was the second reprint and just had a few corrections. I would go for that one.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I bought a 1961 signed copy in very good condition. Really detailed and comprehensive. :-)

Member for

11 years 2 months

Without disagreeing in any way with previous choices I've found Alfred Price's [I]The Spitfire Story [I] to be very useful as well. As far as the Hurricane is concerned some sections of Sydney Camm and the Hurricane by Dr. John Fozzard has been helpful too. But I do agree that the Hurricane deserves a very thorough consideration that will also include analysis of the Hawker company records about the reasons for some of the original design decisions.

Example; the Lewis gun installations on the fuselage / cockpit side shown on the original mock up in the Kingston works? How about a photograph and more detail of the DB 601 engined example built in Yugoslavia or didn't it really exist?