You lot like a whinge...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

Well I don't listen to the radio, ( perhaps I should have made it clear that I was referring to BBCTV) so we'll see about the others....

Member for

13 years

I thought Dermot O'Leary did a pretty good job, I absolutely hated the ex-lax factor and was slightly dreading his take on the BoB, however I was pleasantly surprised, he is after all presenter, and Stephen Bungay isn't, so I don't know why some would suggest him.

The programme was obviously made on the fly, and appeared unscripted (in the main) that takes a certain kind of a person to carry that off, and also appeared to have been made as cheaply as possible, that appears to be the way at the moment, and I guess we'll have to get used to that; as for the BBC, pitiful.

O'Dreary ? You're easily pleased. Stephen Bungay is an articulate and personable TV historian and presenter, as is James Holland. Either of them, even on a on a bad day, would have, I'm quite sure, delivered a much more polished and knowledgeable presentation.

It's not the first time that TV has failed to put up an accomplished and capable interviewer to match the occasion.

Member for

12 years 8 months

Well I don't listen to the radio, ( perhaps I should have made it clear that I was referring to BBCTV) so we'll see about the others....

It was one of the main TV headlines on the 6 o'clock and 10 o'clock news and had a section in both, 3 minutes of the 27 broadcast at 10. Considering other items that are pressing, this was not too bad in my opinion.

Enthusiasts may well have hoped to have had more, but realistically it wasn't going to happen. As Mikej said, the coverage was overwhelmingly positive.

Member for

11 years 6 months

I think we are in a minority here, John.

Member for

12 years 8 months

Chris Evans is a presenter who has been extraordinarily successful in capturing audiences in all of the areas of the media he has worked. It has earned him upward of £50 million. I would have thought that his audience would have been just the people the aviation community would hope to reach on this subject. If he enthused even a small proportion of those who listened to his programme, then all to the good.
He has quite extensive knowlege in a number of areas outside music, particularly historic vehicles. He is a qualified helicopter PPL so he has some knowledge of aviation.

He is intensely annoying and I don't listen to him, but he has raised huge amounts of money for Children in Need.

I can think of a number of people who would have been a lot worse.

Edit: 8 million people listen to his show each week

Member for

16 years 3 months

O'Dreary ? You're easily pleased. Stephen Bungay is an articulate and personable TV historian and presenter, as is James Holland. Either of them, even on a on a bad day, would have, I'm quite sure, delivered a much more polished and knowledgeable presentation.

It's not the first time that TV has failed to put up an accomplished and capable interviewer to match the occasion.

Which would have appealed solely to people like us. Which part of this is so hard for you to comprehend?

If you or anybody else once again makes comment about the youth of today or todays general knowledge base I will personally come and ram Bungays book down your throat.

Moaning old fool.

Member for

16 years 3 months

I don't believe the BBC had to be invited to make a fitting tribute to those men women and machines that fought, and endured the Battle of Britain.

What you believe doesn't really matter when it comes to contracts does it?

Member for

18 years 3 months

Perhaps I'm easily pleased John, whilst I really enjoyed Stephen Bungay's contribution to "Spitfire Ace" (all those years ago) I don't see him as an ad hoc presenter, but will be only to happy to see him on the TV more often; I'm with you all the way with regards Chris Evans.....

As to there being a whole 3 minutes coverage at 10 pm, I do now see the error of my post...... I watched the earlier coverage interrupted to go live to Brighton to see Ronnie Corbett ( he who hasn't yet learned the words to the national anthem) and thought then "this is what I pay my licence fee for"

I remember probably for the 60th Sue Lawley (I think) did a report on the Battle every night for a week! how times have changed.

"What you believe doesn't really matter when it comes to contracts does it?"

Please expand, all knowledgeable one....

Member for

11 years 6 months

Threats of physical sbuse now. Really Snaf!!

Member for

12 years 8 months

As to there being a whole 3 minutes coverage at 10 pm, I do now see the error of my post...... I watched the earlier coverage interrupted to go live to Brighton to see Ronnie Corbett ( he who hasn't yet learned the words to the national anthem) and thought then "this is what I pay my licence fee for"..

Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, Mr Corbyn is of more interest and importance to the lives of most people at the moment. You clearly don't like it. I don't like it. But that is the way of the media world at the moment.
I'm sorry about that. But realistic

OT slightly, in my view my licence fee was fully repaid with the BBC's Wolf Hall.

Member for

13 years

I think we are in a minority here, John.

Yes. It's really about expectations and lowest common denominators.

Member for

14 years 7 months

If they bring out a DVD could they include the pilots briefing in it's entirety please.
For me that was the most interesting bit.
BTW was that Stephen Grey at the briefing? Which aircraft did he fly?

Member for

13 years

Which would have appealed solely to people like us. Which part of this is so hard for you to comprehend?

If you or anybody else once again makes comment about the youth of today or todays general knowledge base I will personally come and ram Bungays book down your throat.

Moaning old fool.

..."which would have appealed solely to people like us.."

What makes you think that I've got anything in common with you ? Ramming Bungay's book down my throat would be very acceptable nourishment. You have reminded me that 'empty vessels make the loudest noise'.

Member for

10 years 3 months

The Channel 4 programme made me yearn for the late Raymond Baxter. Wouldn't it have been nice to have had someone who knew what he was looking at, and had something intelligent to say... O'Leary spent most of the time telling us how exciting it was (which is generally a sign that something isn't exciting) and asking how everything felt. The "historian" with him (name escapes me) seems to appear on every available programme now, spouting whatever he's read in a book the night before. It looked as if the TV team had simply turned-up with a microphone, a "talking head historian" and hoped that an interesting programme would somehow appear as if my magic. Great to see the aircraft of course but it was typical modern-day television rubbish. I commented as the programme ended that any typical viewer would be just as clueless about the Battle of Britain after the show than they were before.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Could have been worse..........we could have had Michael O'Leary...........!!!!

As they say, picks up coat and departs...............

Member for

13 years 7 months

Honestly, you lot.

Dermot wasn't chosen, he was part of the production team that wanted to make this vision a reality along with Matt Jones. He is enthused, popular, and without the involvement of him and c4 this may not have happened. Prince Harry is a good friend of Boultbee and again his presence ensured that the worlds press were engaged. Remember also this programme was a companion piece to a more factual one shown on Sunday. It was what is termed 'as live'...impossible to do live because of the vagaries of the day, but it hopefully captured some if the atmosphere of the day.

Matt wanted to commemorate the sacrifices of those who were involved in the BoB on a grand scale, a tremendous achievement. It wasn't perfect, nothing is. But it was something very special indeed.

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

Just had to check I was not on the OK magazine forum.:D

I haven't a clue who all these people you discussing are but then I do not watch much TV. Even so I do know how to use the basic functions such as mute, something sadly not available for air show commentaries.

Raymond Baxter dead!!!! OMG I wondered why I hadn't seen him recently.:D

Are my posts really that difficult to understand? That's retorical by the way.
Do we no longer have any technical commentators of his calibre?

You watch Top Gear Moggy, now you have gone down in my eyes. :D8

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

Could have been worse..........we could have had Michael O'Leary...........!!!!

As they say, picks up coat and departs...............

Or worse still that French bloke, whotshisname?

Member for

20 years 6 months

What a brilliant thread title.
Wind 'em up and watch 'em go. Ha ha ha ha!!!