More Treasures(?) From The Garage...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 2 months

I'm wondering if this wheel is actually a nose wheel steering tiller, something like seen on the Comet's control column?  The scale looks about right.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hmmm, maybe not, after all.

Here's what I believe to be a tiller wheel (possibly Comet) next to the mystery wheel.

I'll have to try to make out more of the very faint stamps on it.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

Meanwhile, unidentified stuff still turns up.

An elevator trim wheel, approx 51/2" in diameter.  The use of cross-headed screws suggests it isn't British but I could be wrong.

No stamps, casting numbers that I can see at all.

Any help welcomed!

Attachments

Member for

14 years 1 month

That does look very much like a Comet/Nimrod family tiller wheel...

Member for

16 years 10 months

That trim wheel looks early P-51/T-6. I'll measure a slightly more broken one from the loft, Allison engined RAF example. 

Member for

16 years 10 months

AM, here's a slightly more damaged version from Mustang AP171. Identical in size and design. Would be interested if it was spare. 

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

Excellent ian-, a great match, thanks very much!

I haven't got access to the lump at the moment, so I've just re-orientated the photo to correspond as best I can manage to an illustration from an original technical doc, as found on the web.  It shows the match far better than any reference photo in my files, particularly the position of an adjacent lever and a heavy steel bracket, both of which I've pointed out.

This confirms it as being from an early Mustang - the Harvard design was rather different and the details don't match at all.

It's probable that the wheel is from the same cockpit as the Mustang throttle box which was identified way up thread.  That went to a well-known collector of all things cockpitty who seems not to have stayed with the new and improved forum.

See you at Newark?

Attachments

Member for

16 years 10 months

That's a good match, AM. A result. I have an interest in the Allison engine Mustangs, having attended a dig on a bale out example near Stafford as a teenager. Was surprised to find this lump of P-51 at last years War and Peace show for an unusually small amount. If Newark is on, I will be there!

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

I've been looking more closely at the "is it a trim wheel or tiller wheel" wheel.

I did report the discovery of a small inspector's stamp but I thought it was too faint to read.  I was almost right, but after some very careful scraping and brushing, I think I can make out some of the details.  It's now reached the stage where my efforts are losing more detail than I'm revealing, so this is my best stab at it.   The "O" looks a bit squashed, so it could be something else.   There's also a part number but all I can make out is ?C____S.    Not much to go on but any help appreciated as always!

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

Gone a bit quiet again, hasn't it?

How about this column?  It came to us in a bulk purchase of columns, grips and yokes and was claimed to be from a Fieseler Storch.   A quick internet search laid that idea to rest but it still remains unidentified after many years.

I've removed the grip from the column and can confirm that the fasteners are 2ba threaded.  Moreover, the button on the column (p/t/t?) is a standard Air Ministry item, so I'm assuming it is of British origin.   Light plane, small helicopter?  The grip is a well-machined  piece, perhaps it's been nicked from something else?  Not an Auster or a Miles, as far as I can see from my files.  Anyone any ideas?

Attachments

Member for

4 years 5 months

Got to be a Helicopter for sure with that shape

Member for

16 years 2 months

Yes, I'm leaning towards helicopter too.

Looking at the earlier Service types:-

Not Hoverfly (straight column and American built anyway)

Not Dragonfly (wrong column shape)

Not Hiller HT 1 (American built, column wrong shape, standard US type grip)

Not Belvedere (wrong column shape and the grip is very "busy")

Not Skeeter (wrong column shape, different grip)

Not Wessex or Whirlwind (got tons of cockpit illustrations for most Marks - no similarities at all)

Which leaves the Sycamore.  From the illustrations I have, the column shape is similar to the mystery one but the grip is different.  I wonder if some versions used a different grip?  I feel more research coming on...

Of course, it might be a civilian helicopter, but there weren't too many British ones, were there?   And gyrocopters seem to have mostly simple, straight columns?

Member for

13 years 1 month

Looking at many different pictures of the Sycamore cockpit (Mk3 onwards), on planet google images, it does not have the same extended curve and the grip is totally different.  But, there are not many images of the earlier marks and prototypes.  Example link below.  

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Bristol%20Sycamore%20Mk.3%20Walkaround%20A91-1%20RAAF%20Moorabbin%201980/content/Bristol%20Sycamore%20Mk.3%20Walkaround%20RAAF%20Moorabbin%202007%2052%20GraemeMolineux_large.html

Although, I do tend to agree that it is probably and more likely from a rotary winged machine of very early existence.  Any numbers visible AM?    

GYD 

Member for

16 years 2 months

No numbers at all GYD!   I went over every inch of it with a magnifying glass yesterday.

I take your point on the curve of the Sycamore column too.  Maybe not, after all!

I typed my last post in a howling hurry on saturday evening and omitted to mention the Wasp, Scout and Sioux.

The column on the Scout is the wrong shape and the handle is decidedly "busy".  Ditto the Wasp.

The column on the Westland built Sioux is also wrong but I did find this illustration showing a handle on the right hand side of the cockpit which looks suspiciously like our handle but perhaps wrapped in chord, maybe after a mod. or repair?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Army/Westland-Sioux-AH1-AB-47G-3B-1/…

Member for

13 years 1 month

Hi AM,

This picture shows the 'Father' of the helicopter Igor Sikorsky, in one of his early aircraft, the R-5 although, you can't see the grip however, the shape of the column is a very close match and I would seem to think that it could well be something from this stable/era, especially with the simplistic handle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/9foooc/aviation_pioneer_igor_sikorsky_at_the_controls_of/

What do you think?

GYD

Member for

19 years 9 months

When I first saw the grip, the top part reminded me of a grip which passed through my hands some years back belonging to a French max holste broussard. Your grip is not from this aircraft but got me thinking that maybe it’s not from a British helicopter, but from an overseas manufacturer of helicopters? 

Member for

13 years 1 month

Ahh!

FB I too, thought of that direction, the grip is familiar but, I err'd toward early Soviet but, then came across the picture in my previous response.  The angle of the base meeting the floor, the curve and the simplicity of the grip, leaning toward a very early  helicopter application.   

Here is a link to a Broussard cockpit:

http://www.pictaero.com/fr/pictures/picture,167703

GYD

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hi both, and thanks for your observations.

Yes, some similarities to the Broussard design but also enough differences to confirm it's not from that aeroplane.   (2ba fasteners and Air Ministry switch very un-French).

I'm still leaning towards early helicopter and will just have to keep on searching.

Meanwhile, a development on that anonymous, bare panel from a few posts above.

A gentle clean reveals both a part number and an inspector's stamp.

Perhaps the Cold War enthusiasts at CockpitFest would have struggled with it after all?

ASY57215L2 and in a circle "LAP" over "DBM" with " 37" in the middle.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

Meanwhile, seeing daylight for the first time in many years....

Attachments