Any Salvagable Wreck's Left In The UK's Lake's?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

Hi chaps,
During my visit to Berlin a few days ago I saw some very well preserved aircraft recovered from lakes.
Saw a documentary on Loch Ness yesterday and the recent Loch Doon thread make me think (again) if there are any salvagable substantial aircraft wrecks
in UK (inland) waters. IIRC apart from Wellington R for Robert there was talk about a Catalina down there too. In FlyPast years ago an article was published
about a ditched Defiant. The missing second Fritton lake P-47, There must still still be some to be found.
Any ideas?
Cees

Original post

Member for

10 years 7 months

There may (or may not) be a float-equipped Spitfire somewhere in the Lake District.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Cees,

Both Fritton Lake P47's are still in there somewhere - they only recovered a wing as I recall.

Be nice to rescue those - they are only a few minutes drive from me.

Member for

16 years 2 months

I'm sure we've had this conversation before, in which case I will probably have mentioned this crash:-

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/pages/peakdistrict/peakdistrictlk502.htm

I was told that pieces of the Stirling ended up in Rudyard Lake. Whether this was as a result of the crash or its subsequent salvage was not explained. I doubt there are any substantial parts anyway, although when we visited the site, some aeroplane skinning was to be seen as fence repairs, etc, which suggests that some parts remained onsite after the recovery?

I don't know much about the lake itself (e.g. how deep it is) and I expect a more knowledgable wreck investigator will be along to rebut the story.

Someone will now post a link to Top Gear and an amphibious Triumph Herald.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Steve, Didn't you tell us some time ago that it was a Sunderland?

Member for

18 years 4 months

No proof of a Catalina in loch Ness which is local to me, a Hurricane was recovered from another loch in the Great Glen.Rumours of a Fleet Air Arm aircraft in an unnamed Loch north of inverness. RAF Coltishall sub aqua club did the Fritton lake P47 recovery ,i knew the chief diver and feel that they lifted all that was found.

Member for

11 years 1 month

There was Beaufort ( or Blenheim) just off the east shore of Lough Neagh which was fairly intact until late 1975 when ,unfortunately, it was "bombed" by the Army.

Member for

13 years 2 months

There was an Oxford believed to be in a Scottish Loch "not sure if this has been recovered", some Wellington bits are believed to be in a Lake in the Lake district "fairly close to shore".

There are other rumours of aircraft remaining in fresh water, inc - a Battle in a reservoir, a Spitfire in a Loch "not Mentieth", and a Blenheim MK 1 in a river.

The Defiant was/is in Scotland, but not in fresh water.

I believe the Hurricane that was recovered in Scotland, was in Loch Oich.

IIRC 1 P47 went into Fritton lake, the other crashed on land.

Plenty of aircraft crashed into Lakes & rivers here in the UK, but most are believed to have been recovered at the time "mores the pity".

Bob T.

Member for

11 years 10 months

Beaufort in Reservoir?

Bristol Beaufort, (X8938 of the Torpedo Training Unit), reportedly crashed in Busbie Muir Reservoir, 3 miles NE of Ardrossan, Ayrshire on 22/06/41? Not aware of any recovery, but relatively recent requests to investigate by sub-aqua teams seem to have been refused on grounds that disturbance would contaminate water supply and/or fish stocks? May also be a war grave, but don't think listed as such?

Cold, dark, peaty water.....

Member for

20 years 3 months

Loch Foyle Corsair

Member for

11 years 3 months

Budworth Mere Cheshire Barracuda(s). There is a thread on this somewhere. Highly doubtful

Member for

10 years 5 months

I understand that a Manchester fuselage is believed to have been left in a Lincolnshire gravel pit, possibly as late as during the Fifties .....

Member for

14 years 6 months

That one was taken away for scrap in the fifties unfortunately. Pics in book by Robert Kirby.
Cees

Member for

17 years 10 months

HE111 in a reservoir near Tottenham/Lea Valley or is it a myth?

Member for

14 years 5 months

Wellington rumoured in a large pond in Randwick, near Stroud.

Member for

17 years 11 months

Lancaster in Whixhall Moss ... or is it the mere at Ellesmere?!

Member for

15 years 3 months

There is a number of PBY Catalina's ex lend lease sunk in the middle of Lower Lough Erne , Northern Ireland , scuttled after hostilities in 60 metres of water . Property of the USofA .

Member for

12 years 11 months

Loch ness / great glen - i understand it was a wartime nav route and ive read in history books of a reference to a ditching and bail out/running out of fuel of a whitley and a hudson if i remember correct - id be surprised if the Wellington was the only aircraft in the whole of the great glen - must be others given its sheer size

is there some sonar survey data somebody can revisit?

Member for

14 years 10 months

The Blenheim in the Severn is about 1 mile off Lydney pier. Serial L1471, it surfaces from the sand occasionally. I have a 1975 picture of it, complete, but the tail had been pulled off during a recovery attempt. I doubt whether there will be much left 40 years on.

The Randwick Wellington is W5705, crashed 29th Jan 1943. The pond it went into (vertically I think) was quite small, and had been filled in for many years when I last visited the farm on business in the mid 1970's.

Member for

10 years 7 months

Loch ness / great glen - i understand it was a wartime nav route and ive read in history books of a reference to a ditching and bail out/running out of fuel of a whitley and a hudson if i remember correct - id be surprised if the Wellington was the only aircraft in the whole of the great glen - must be others given its sheer size

is there some sonar survey data somebody can revisit?

If anything else was there then surely the numerous surveys would have turned up a monster, if there was one to find, let alone more aviation wrecks.

Or not?