RAF Museum Hendon - Closure / Dispersion of Battle of Britain Hall

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 3 months

Just shows what can be achieved........... Will one day have to go there with time to spare, rather than just "popping in" when Aero Expo or the PFA Rally is on..... (whoops, think they like to be called LAA nowadays !!!).

Bit of thread drift here.............. The first entry in my Dad's log book is 02 May 1943 when he took to the air in Tiger Moth T6366 with 6 EFTS at Sywell. Two years to the day before I was born.

Member for

20 years

Thanks chaps, I was being a bit naughty :)

Someone's gone and lobbed an 'angar with a Spitfire, Seafire, Sea Fury (news just in) and SE5 in it next to us n'all. Praps they read the Tripadvisor entries too. Seem like nice folk though :)

Member for

19 years 2 months

Meddle, some of the nicest and thought provoking museums were covered by your description.....sheds with scrap metal. One mans scrap is another's history. I don't have any issues with making museums more interesting, accessible and enjoyable. Our museum is very hands on and popular.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Coming back to the RAF museum...have the staff who patrol the exhibits gained any knowledge? Do they respond to visitors questions?

Member for

24 years 2 months

The old bloke in the Milestones, what a rude individual! He told me that the Twin Pioneer had gon e to Cosford, I found it stuffed under R5868 when I last visited.

Member for

16 years 2 months

Twin Pioneer? Did he have double vision? as it was the Single Pioneer that was at Hendon.

Member for

19 years 2 months

They were both at Cosford in June 2014.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Single Pioneer was in Milestones at Hendon alongside a Piston Provost, both painted in Omani colours as part of an exhibition about Bristish-Omani relations. The Twin Pin has been at Cosford all along as far as I'm aware.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Confirmation that small museums have a place safegaurding items ...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/25/britain-may-lose-historical-heritage-as-archaeologists-admit-the/

Indeed they do, as do private collectors who will quite often give a home to items that a museum - particularly larger museums, wouldn't even give a second thought to. A claim I made several years ago before being put down by a certain member on here :rolleyes:

Rob

Member for

19 years 2 months

Lots of examples of that Rob!

Member for

15 years 8 months

If the architects plans I have seen this afternoon come to fruition, I think I know where the Battle of Britain material from Hendon will eventually end up - the new Battle of Britain Exhibition Centre at Uxbridge. Looks like the RAF and Hillingdon Council are in the process of building a dedicated BoB set up, by pretty massively extending the bunker facility there by building on top of it. Remember who told you first folks!!!!

Member for

11 years 1 month

Now I could be happy if that came to fruition.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Single Pioneer was in Milestones at Hendon alongside a Piston Provost, both painted in Omani colours as part of an exhibition about Bristish-Omani relations. The Twin Pin has been at Cosford all along as far as I'm aware.

Sorry meant Pioneer

Member for

20 years 5 months

There used to be an armoured Rolls Royce up in the galleries. What happened to it?

Member for

7 years 9 months

I have been a reader of this thread for many years but never felt the need to join until now.

I've spent many years visiting the RAF museum from 1979 onwards, for me one of the best parts was the BoB hall. I would dearly love to speak with the cretin who thought closing it was a good idea! Totally dispicable!

Is any are interested my name refers to the Wellington from 148 squadron that my uncle lost his life in, Bill Black in 1941.

Member for

11 years 1 month

There used to be an armoured Rolls Royce up in the galleries. What happened to it?

The last I heard it was at The RAF Regiment Heritage Centre at RAF Honington.

Member for

18 years 3 months

I have been a reader of this thread for many years but never felt the need to join until now.

I've spent many years visiting the RAF museum from 1979 onwards, for me one of the best parts was the BoB hall. I would dearly love to speak with the cretin who thought closing it was a good idea! Totally dispicable!

Is any are interested my name refers to the Wellington from 148 squadron that my uncle lost his life in, Bill Black in 1941.

Hi there and welcome to the forum; (as a contributor) if you have any information of the above A/C you can start a separate thread, indeed if you require information that might help also.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Talking to one of the guys working at the museum prior to going to Duxford on the Friday said that the Battle of Britain Hall is going to be turned into an information centre and kiddies play area and went on to say that the stripping the aircraft for conservation is a con. He also suggested to complain to the management as he said have no interest or knowledge of aircraft and history. When talking to me he seemed pretty emotional about the new way of thinking to what's going on. Suppose time will tell what's really going to happen.
Ian