Which Spitfire is it ??

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

This is an extract from an E-mail from a contact in Canada, he is talking about a Spitfire which is rumoured to be leaving the UK for California. Its not Breightons pink one as thats going to Florida for a while.
Anybody heard anything about this or have any ideas which it might be.I can tell you that the guy who wrote the mail is particularly intersted in TR9's !!.
"
HI Phil- Not at liberty to say which one. I've been informed about it from a fellow who knows the new owner. All I can say it that anyone I've toalked to aboout it says it they "know nothing" This and the fact the airplane involved it a "flagship" for the outfit who is selling her. I'm not going to say anything more! I'll let you know once I've confirmed the rumour is in fact true. PS this guy also bought a hurricane!"

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Which Spitfire is it ??

ML417 of TFC me thinks, and the new owner will be Tom Friedkin of Cinema Air at Chino.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Cold sweat for a while i read ML407 first time around.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Neither ML407 or ML417 looked like they were being exported anywhere when I saw them at Duxford on Sunday. ML407 was in Hangar 2 north with one engine cowling off, but otherwise looked settled, while ML417 was in Hangar 2 south with the wing root fairings off and having some maintenance done. That said, it hasn't taken long for the two Grumman biplanes to go - they were being dismantled at the October airshow, and one of the TFC guys told me on Sunday that they'd shipped out a week or so ago.

Meanwhile, I think the Hurricane referred to in the first posting may have been AE977, who's sale I seem to recall reading about in Flypast's news pages this month. Apparently she's on a boat as we speak, but I'm not entirely sure where she's being exported to. I'll read the article again tonight.

Some other Duxford updates while I'm on the subject:

TFC's B25 'Grumpy' is stll there, despite recent rumours that she'd been sold. Apparently she's still up for sale though, reportedly for around $600k.

The F15A is now sitting between Hangars 4 and 5, resplendent in her Bitburg colour scheme. Her place in the Hangar 5 paint shop has been taken by the B24 fuselage, which looks like it's being blasted or otherwise treated for corrosion. I didn't see a great deal, as the curtain is down and most of the views are restricted.

Hangar 5 north looks positively spacious now the B24 fuselage is out of the way, and the photographers amongst you may relish the opportunity to get som good shots of DAS's Airspeed Ambassador. Work continues on the B24 wings and tail, while Me109G 'Black Six' is also in Hangar 5 north, tucked under some yellow plastic sheeting.

Hangar 5 south has Duxford's newest arrival, Tornado GR1 ZA647 'Foxy Killer', although she's in a grubby overall grey scheme at the moment. Looking slightly out of place next to such modern hardware is the Anson Mk1, which is now on its wheels and doesn't look far from completion.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I don't mean to sound like a scratched record,but I think it is a great shame that ANY UK warbird should end up going abroad,let alone a D-Day veteran Spitfire.I think either ML407 or'417 would be a great loss to us here in the UK.I'm only just getting over the news of SeaHurricane AE977's departure :(
TFC's B25 would also be a loss if it went abroad (and let's face it,it probably will).She is,to my mind atleast,a fitting tribute to the Dutch and Norwiegens who flew RAF Mitchells in WW2,and let's not forget that she is also the oldest airworthy B25 anywhere.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I do agree to some extent, in that aircraft which are historically 'right' for a particular nation should be preserved there.

However, by taking that view, the export of a Hurricane and Spitfire to the US could be considered appropriate in view of the numbers of US citizens who served in the RAF Eagle squadrons, therefore making those aircraft relevant to their new country of residence.

Overall, I hold the view that the movement of historic aircraft between nations is a good thing, and results in a wider education. After all, while we can point to the loss of the airworthy Sunderland, Mosquito and Meteor F8 from our shores in recent years, in the same time we actually gained such gems as the TigerCat, Yak 3 (not yet airworthy) and Kingcobra, none of which were used by the British armed forces.

All just IMHO, of course... :)