Clive Du Cros 'Spitfire'

Member for

19 years 9 months

Does anyone know if anything is to become of the remains of the Clive Du Cros 'replica' Spitfire? Last I knew, it had crashed badly whilst being flown for a new owner or something. I saw the aircraft a few years ago at a Great Warbirds show, Du Cros had pranged it on landing and damaged his prop. By the sounds of things, after all the effort recounted in Du Cros' book to build the thing in the first place, it barely flew more than a few times, and was never really 'right'. Opinions anyone?
Original post
Profile picture for user Ant.H

Member for

19 years 9 months

RE: Clive Du Cros 'Spitfire' From what i've heard and read the Du Cros Spit was actually quite nice to fly,with many of the characteristics of an original.The only real problem was it's light weight,which for instance would cause it to float on landing (a factor which probably caught out the pilot who was flying her when she crashed) From what I've heard,the aircraft was totally written off in the accident.It overshot on landing and went straight through the airfield boundary after the engine failed to pick up for a go-around.A wing was ripped off and the aircraft ended up on it's back in the next field.Fortunately,the pilot walked away from it. It is presently in storage at the Southampton Hall of Aviation with a view toward restoring it as a static exhibit.