J.A.M. Car-door Typhoon rebuild.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Bloody Nora! More photos please! Well done chaps!

TT

Member for

14 years

Oh my word. Day trip coming up I think.

Member for

20 years 6 months

That is fantastic ,well done :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Looks excellent - and as many aircraft used Tungum alloy which looked pretty similar, very few would know the difference. Also, Copper is much easier to form than Aluminium, and much more forgiving!

Member for

14 years 10 months

Agree with the previous comments - truly fantastic work! Now I don't want to start a bun fight on here but I wonder if there's any interaction/coordination between you and the Typhoon (RB396) Restoration Project? I appreciate that this project is not being rebuilt to fly but it does seem that you're streets ahead of the bigger project.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Or indeed JP843 in Canada ? Hope that project is alive and well. Not seen any reports from there recently ?

Member for

10 years 2 months

Ian Slater's project is still proceeding. He moved his Company and the project a while ago from the centre of Vancouver Island down to the south tip. His web site is dormant at the moment; but he regularly updates his Facebook page.
He has much to do... basically a full reconstruction; seeing as how Roger Marley's replica... (the basis of JP843) was basically a mix of Typhoon and Tempest parts.
We are in frequent contact with him and various spare cockpit frame fittings we had in stock have been exchanged with him for original drawings and other relevant information.

Member for

10 years 2 months

Glad you approve of the plumbing Bruce.

All this lot has been formed by following (more or less) the original pipe run profiles, and bending by hand as the copper tubing has a nasty tendency to suddenly become oval in cross-section without the slightest warning if pipe bending tools are used.

Member for

14 years 8 months

Rocketeer you mentioned the London to Christchurch Canberra as being at the scrapyard? I thought I saw the aircraft on display at the RAF Museum Hendon in 2001. Or was their another aircraft in the race?

Member for

10 years 2 months

A couple more shots of the cockpit interior. First; the starboard side with the original starboard tread plate positioned to see
how much is actually missing prior to re-fabrication.
(The port one will have to be re-engineered as it was completely missing.)
[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3838588}[/ATTACH]

And the port side...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3838589}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

10 years 2 months

Due to Covid and assorted lockdowns, not too much info on our progress of late. However; this is basically as far as we've got. (Most of the plumbing is now installed and we are moving on to completing the windscreen decking.) Martin is producing replica Amal fasteners as these are literally unobtainable, and Tom's tin bashers are starting on the rear monocoque formers (Supplied by Ian in Canada.) I'm sorting out the Fuel Tanks pressurisation system at present; (Suspended at the moment due to us being bunged into Tier 4 and consequently having the Museum locked down.)

Here is the old lady as she stands...

Port and Starboard side structures.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Terrific , Thank you and keep well :)  

Member for

3 years 3 months

Good to see your work progressing.  Interesting to hear about the Amal fixings (refer to another thread) how many of those fixing are required for the Typhoon ?  I expect it is a time consuming job to machine each set of parts ?  Not wishing to 'arrange a marriage' but would be interested to know how much information and parts you are sharing with other Typhoon / Tempest projects around the world and what a market there would be for a production run of such fixings.  Are alternative 'mass produced' items available for the airworthy rebuild projects ?

I have no connection with any of the projects just an interest in seeing rare types rebuilt.

p.s. although it appear as I am a newbi my history on this Forum goes way back, formally CADman and before that DOUGHNUT

Member for

10 years 2 months

For securing the Starboard panelling; the belly and lower radiator cowling panels, and the engine top cowling; the Amal fastener requirement is 69. The Museum management concept is for us to leave the port side open in order for visitors to view the internal structure and systems.
Meanwhile; here is the ongoing construction of the windscreen decking...

Attachments

Member for

16 years 7 months

That's just wonderful thank you for the update

Member for

10 years 2 months

Just to keep the interest going during the Covid Lockdown...
Ongoing assembly of the Crash Pylon, Installation of the Intermediate rear attack Armour plate, and general arrangement of Pneumatic Air Cylinder Layout.
(The Oval former at bottom right is the dummy locator for the 'A' frame.)

Attachments