BOAC Liberator II Landing At Prestwick

Member for

9 years 3 months

Three  reports about BOAC's in-flight refuelling trials. All come, according to my notes, from February 1948.

Attachments

Member for

6 months 1 week

Thank you. Interesting description of the re-fuelling process that helps explain what you can see in the photos. Were these cuttings from 1948? G-AKDS is the Lancastrian and the black objects in view had confused me but guess they are the weights on the line from the Liberator G-AHYD from which the photos were taken.

Member for

9 years 3 months

I'll double-check the publication dates and send them to you in a PM, as soon as time permits.

I seem to recall reading about BSAA's experiments with in-flight refuelling, too,  but I think that was the previous year. Again, I'll try to carve out a bit of time to retrace my digital footsteps.

Member for

6 months 1 week

Thank you. No rush so just fit in around what other things you have on.

Member for

9 years 3 months

A quickie on the airport codes.

'UL' is a shortened version of  'YUL', the international code for Montreal - Dorval. I should have realised this sooner, having typed 'YUL' more than a few times  earlier this year when working out the itinerary of a trip.

Even though I once experienced an unscheduled stop in Gander many, many years ago, I didn't know that 'YQX' is its airport code. 'YQX' was shortened to 'QX' in the document posted by Freecell49.

Presumably, this was the practice adopted back in the days of the RFS.

Member for

6 months 1 week

You are correct about the codes, and you will find them used on the log summaries I have put in the post to you, so I had the information all the time but hadn't looked in the right place.

Member for

9 years 3 months

Thanks, Freecell49.

I have sent you a PM.

Member for

9 years 3 months

Another newspaper report on the in-flight refuelling trials in 1948

Attachments