Anything done to the Hallibag W1048 in Hendon...???

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Forgive me if I have the serial wrong but I was wondering if anything other than the fron turret and engines was restored on the Halifax bomber in Hendon? Seems a shame to see her lying there on the floor considering her condition upon recovery.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Anything done to the Hallibag W1048 in Hendon...???

This is an old wound you're re-opening. The quick answer to your question is no, apart from the application of preservative, no other restoration work was carried out on the Halifax. The front turret was restored by a team at RAF Wyton at a time when it was anticipated that the entire aircraft would be similarly treated. Eventually this idea was dropped on the grounds of cost, and for what it's worth I think the pristine turret on a derelict aircraft looks ridiculous.

Certainly the aircraft is easily restorable given sufficient time and of course money (National Lottery grant?) However, I do not believe the will to do anything with it is there; the argument always thrown up is that it is a "powerful monument" (or some such) as it is.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Steve you make a valid point of it being a monument, but what happened to the rest of it?? It was brought out of the lake with all or most of the plexiglass vomplete even down to the blisters on the nose! If they want to preserve it in as found condition, then why is there so much missing? Look at the stbd nose and there is a large section of skin missing!! I think that they could of done this better than they have. Makes one wonder if they would have been better off leaving her in the lake?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Steve - the decision to stop any work on the Halifax was not entirely to do with the cost. The work required was relatively simple and could have been achieved. From memory one at least of her Merlin's was restored by the Medway group .
I always ponder in my mind how much of a memorial these aircraft are when they are left in an 'as recovered' state.
The can be no sure way to tell how badly she is corroding - left in the bottom of the fiord she was in a cold enviroment which
inhibited her. Now in the museum she is as such in a temperature
controlled enviroment but she must be corroding within her seams
where the inhibitor cannot get to.
She tells a story as she is but I always feel that if we could ask her crew they would much rather see her as she was on take-off for her last mission. After all they did support the
attempt at restoration when it was started by the late Flt Sgt
Paddy Porter as he was at the time.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Guys,
A little further input to this debate on the Halifax at Hendon...
I can tell you now that mutterings have been heard within dimly lit corridors somewhere in London that this aircraft SHOULD now be restored! As this is currently 'only' mutterings, no one can tell when or how this restoration will be effected, however, any restoration work on this wonderful aircraft will be supported by a great many people (including us!) and we look forward to the day when something positive happens.
On a slightly different note, did you know that parts from this Halifax have been used to keep a LANCASTER in the air?!?! This alone makes some of us feel quite happy :-)
(visit our site at: www.57rescue.org)

Member for

24 years 3 months

That would be fantastic to see that w1048 will hopefully be restored. She looks very forlorn lying on a bed of gravel. One is to wonder what happened to the rest of her after she was raised??? Eg the blisters from the nose rest of the lower nose and the large skin panel from the stbd nose/turret area!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm probably one of the few dissenting voices on this subject, but I can't help feeling somewhat humbled when I see W1048 in her current condition, and I really don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. While it would be impressive to see a complete and original Halifax standing on it's undercarriage at Hendon, I don't think she would make such a thought provoking exhibit.

Presumably I am like most people on this forum in that I was born many years after the war ended, and so was spared the experiences that many went through. To me, while Lancaster R5868 is an impressive and historic aircraft, I feel that W1048 in an unrestored state serves to remind us that many aircraft and their crews failed to return. We should never forget that. Yes, every effort should be made to conserve and preserve her, but I don't feel that a pristine, shining, as-new Halifax would have the same ability to make people stop and think.

Sorry if that flies in the face of the majority opinion. Just my view...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Steve - Whatever is done with her I think now is the time to start thinking about her long term future. I would like to think that the people who recovered her in the first place did so in the hope that she would be restored - having recently looked at the photographs of PN323 as a 'walk - through' exhibit at South Lambeth I think it's about time effort was put in to actualy seriously preserving these machines - is the really any need to use the Halifax nose for this when a replica could suffice?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Steve:

You make some good points there but I am sure that none of us want to see a Halifax restoration project that would turn back the clock so to speak so she was as left the factory condition. But I fear that along with other treasures from ww2 that are left outdoors even today, that she will not be around for future generations to appreciate un less action is taken soon.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi guys,
Some very interesting and valid points here.
My own views are that it would be very fitting inded to see W1048 back on her "feet" again, restored to as near as possible the way she looked when she left the UK under her own steam for the last time. Not pristine brand new just off the production line, but looking slightly weathered, with a few paint chips etc. Also with her interior bits re-fitted in the right places.

NA337 in Canada is being put back together with painstaking attention to detail by a bunch of dedicated volunteers, costing the taxpayers nothing. I cannot see why W1048 cannot be afforded the same privilage!

As for her missing bits, I am given to believe that these are secreted in one of the many stores the RAF museum have access to.

As for looking at photo's of PN323 etc, you might like to take a look at the gallery showing the recovery etc of W1048 at 57 RESCUE's website at www.57rescue.org Some pretty interesting and rare photo's there.