Messerschmitt Me109

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I recently visited the excellent Tangmere museum for the first time in ages and was reminded of an aircraft which was present their sometime ago. The aircraft in question was an early model ME109e which was reputed to have served with the Condor legion and had been found on a scrap yard in Spain. The aircraft was pretty complete even though the fuselage was pretty bashed up. The wings were in excellent shape and compared to some of the projects that have been turned around recently it would probably be quite a straight forward restoration. The guys at Tangmere seemed to think that it had gone back to a private collector in Hungerford. It would be fascinating to see such a significant aircraft reappear. Anybody know what became of it and if anything is being done at the moment.

Secondly a little while ago a very early 109 (it may have been a B or even a prototype) was dug up in Germany. This too was pretty complete but very bashed up. There is a story about Flugwerke rebuilding a similar sounding aircraft. Can anyone confirm if this is the same aircraft and if not what became of it ?.

Finally has anything concrete surfaced about the supposed German He111 found in Spain as repoted in Aeroplane Monthly recently. Sounds too good to be true to me but would be fascinating to see if it is true.

Gareth Sharp

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Messerschmitt Me109

Gareth, that aircraft was/is Rob Lamplough's. It may be in his hangar at North Weald or stored somewhere in Essex