Scampton Up For Sale

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 1 month

"...The reason is London is still the major tourist destination for most people coming to UK, thus Hendon is going nowhere..."

I doubt that not too many visitors to London from overseas, make the effort to visit Hendon ?

Member for

10 years 9 months

Honington would probably require a great deal of refurbishment to accommodate any airborne unit let alone the Reds. For one thing they did away with the approach lighting quite a while ago and when it comes to display practices it would also be a bit close to Lakenheath (& Mildy at the moment) so I don't think that would happen.

Member for

13 years 1 month

What, chaps, is it anywhere near 40°, which we colonials put up with day after day year after year?

Member for

13 years 1 month

"...The reason is London is still the major tourist destination for most people coming to UK, thus Hendon is going nowhere..."

I doubt that not too many visitors to London from overseas, make the effort to visit Hendon ?"

Every time I've been to Hendon the number of people who are tourists has outnumbered the rest of us. Hendon is easy to reach from central London, Northern Line then a bus or short walk.

Pretty much all of the buildings at Hendon and even the gates are listed so couldn't be demolished and the listing tends to include surroundings to maintain some sort of context.

Member for

13 years 1 month

And while I'm logged in, isn't there a good Station Heritage Centre at Scampton? What will happen to that?

Member for

16 years 6 months

Being listed is no guarantee of buildings not being demolished.

Rob

Member for

16 years 3 months

Is no one on Pprune other than me getting upset about the criminal damage the RAFM has perpetrated on the Sunderland in pursuit of commercial gain?

Member for

9 years 7 months

What have they done to the Sunderland?

Member for

18 years 1 month

I believe what Aeronut is talking about is that they have shortened the arms on the floats to allow for the use of the hall for things so people don't hit their heads. Don't know how it is criminal damage as it is their aeroplane to do with what they want and I would like to think they have removed the originals and had new shorter ones made. I don't see a problem with it. If they can bring in revenue by renting the floor space out for things, it can be only a good thing, just like Duxford does with part of the Aerospace hangar.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Very interesting report, thanks for posting up the link, Howard. As suspected Scampton represents one of the best preserved airfields of its type, not to mention the archaeological aspect as well. But I wonder if that will be of any consequence or significance to those who will oversee its eventual sale?!

Rob

Member for

11 years 11 months

Don't know how it is criminal damage as it is their aeroplane to do with what they want

Rather they are custodians of some of the UK's aviation and military heritage so it would be good of them to leave it at least in the condition they find it or even better if the can. Isn't that what a museum is for?
I would like to think they have removed the originals and had new shorter ones made.
So would I. Cutting the original struts for the floats wouldn't be criminal damage. But it would be unnecerssarily destructive and an abdication of their duty to preserve.

Member for

13 years

Here's an idea that owes nothing to the current heatwave or my excessive consumption of gin. Utilise the formidable numbers of this forum and their consequent buying power to form a consortium, appoint a lawyer and accountants. With the strength of numbers, put an offer into the MoD.

Advertising the history of Scampton thru' social media, invite fellow aviation enthusiasts to buy one square foot of Scampton for perhaps, 10 pounds/dollars or euros or, whatever price which when totalled would equal the purchase price of the site.

The buyer receives a written deed of ownership of one square foot of prime Scampton land. The fame of the Dambusters being such as to almost guarantee success of the scheme. When do we start ?

Member for

19 years 3 months

The only reason the BBMF is at Coningsby is the fact that the fighter guys have a day job at it, and the Dak and Lanc guys mostly fly from Waddington on a week day,

As for the rest of the place, clearly you haven't been up there regularly? Sabrejet or Meddle.

24/7 365 Southern QRA has Priority over everything else.

Then there is the small question of space. With 29 Sqn having a full side of the ASP, for Operational Conversion, 41 Sqn using the other side for Test and Evaluation. 3 and 11 Sqn using the Hardened site for daily operations and holding Q rotations. And then there is the small question of 12 Sqn which has now stood up again, and will return to Coningsby, next year. And the contingent of Qatari Typhoons that will arrive to join them when built.

Oh and not forgetting the spare space in the HAS site is filled with Typhoons either waiting for attention in TMF, being used for spares (the four in deep storage) or in the case of the Tranche 1 2 seaters awaiting RTP before and after.

So if you think they are free of space for the Reds, be my guest go find it. Or better still do some research next time

Member for

19 years 3 months

Stuart Gowans

While Lincolnshire County Council may have had plans to create a museum at Scampton the last time it was due for the chop about 9 odd years ago.

Best you go to Lincoln to grasp what Stoogecoach does for the locals. The villages to the east at Washingborough Heightington, and Branston were served by 4 buses an hour till they widened the road into Lincoln (Canwick Hill) next to the IIBC.

While they did that they reduced it to 3 per hour, now its just 2 amongst other cash savings (indeed I) have stood waiting for one for over an hour and nothing turned up. Perhaps some folk best research the subject before commiting to the keyboard

Just a thought

Member for

19 years 3 months

Well I suspect when the RAF decides where they are sending the Reds they will let you know.

As for Wittering aside from the Grob Tutors that moved in from Wyton (and also some from other locations) yes it has space, but is also the RAFs logisitics hub as well as other things.

Member for

21 years

Well......of course, given that the announcement was that Scampton wasn't closing till 2022.......maybe, the plan isn't for the Reds to move anywhere :rolleyes:

Everyone is so concerned where the 'Reds' will go, but by the time Scampton is closed, the 'Reds' will have been disbanded as too costly, so they won't need a new home!! ;) :D

I'm joking of course..... or am I? :eek:

Member for

18 years 5 months

You have a point Vultee,although I have afeeling that sponsorship will become a more sought after resource, or refurb surplus kit " The Great Goshawks" . Another option is to reduce the numbers, the Blue Angels do a lot with less. Contract out?

Joking again..but strange things are happening ....