Scampton Up For Sale

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

But why do you need to understand someone else’s opinion? Are you saying that all others who revere RAF Scampton (the subject of this thread) are wrong? The airfields history is clear to see for anyone who makes the time to do so, from the first and second world wars through to a long association with the Cold War - both with Aircraft and with storage of nuclear weapons - plus not to mention a healthy association with the UK and arguably the worlds premier Airforce aerobatic team. I would argue that even some members of joe public will of heard of Scampton.

And as for discussing Scampton as a place of national interest and importance but not being able to mention “one small bombing raid” as you so dismissively put it - surely that’s abit like saying ‘without mentioning his voice why is Tom Jones such a well respected and highly regarded singer’!

Rob

Member for

18 years 3 months

"remind us all why Scampton is a place of "national interest and importance"

You could say the same of Duxford, a brief cameo for another of your personal heroes; (Douglas Bader) and if it wasn't for the movie stirring up interest ( sounds familiar) and bulldozing the M11 right through the site giving the place enviable access, who knows what might have happened to that particular redundant airfield.

Member for

19 years 3 months

If you think the taxiways over on HHAs side of the airfield are fit for purpose?

Tell me then why they have to tow their jets over to the same side the dead sparrows operate from....

Sure they spent a pitiful £6 million resurfacing the main runway in 2013. Its small change considering the £20 million rebuilding Waddingtons runway to flatten the hump

http://www.televisiontunes.com/Archers_(The).html

Member for

6 years 1 month

It’ll never be Waddington, airspace is too busy.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Has there been much at Wittering since the Harriers left?

Member for

20 years 7 months

Wittering is a major training base..

Member for

13 years

While I have nothing against Scampton itself I don't think it's the right place for a national museum.

I take a lot of foreign visitors to places they wouldn't normally go to but Scampton isn't on the list. It's not the distance but the availability of good public transport links. I'm very keen to vist the Heritage Centre at Scampton but haven't been able to because of the logistics of travelling to it by public transport. Hendon is limited by it's size but to reach it all you need to do is go to central London then the Northern Line to Colindale and then walk or go by a frequent bus service to the Museum.

If you're one of the majority of tourists then it's a no brainer.

I'm not saying I like this situation but I don't see it changing.

Member for

6 years 7 months

My money is on Waddington - just down the road from Scampton isnt it? And the Reds are synonymous with Lincoln...?

Member for

6 years 1 month

My money is on Waddington - just down the road from Scampton isnt it? And the Reds are synonymous with Lincoln...?

Waddington is TOO busy. It's an operational unit with plenty of activity. And NO space for further infrastructure. Leeming and Wittering are scarily close to the A1. I'll look after your money Olly.

Member for

10 years 1 month

I recall Bicester Airfield has been earmarked for Housing Developmemt by the Local Authority.
Shame if it goes ahead as Bicester Heritage want to preseve the Wartime buildings and run a very good programme of events.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Potential sites for Reds identified as Wittering, Waddington or Leeming..

My guess is that Waddington has been included to appease the locals for now - there has been a certain amount of anguish expressed in the area at the thought of 'losing' the Arrows to another county.

I would think in reality, it is very very unlikely - they were planned to move to Waddington a few years ago, but increased use of Waddington for the Sentinels and Shadows lead to them staying put. The plan at that time was for them to continue to use the airspace above Scampton for flying/training because airspace over Waddo was too busy to permit it. Not going to be possible this time around as Scampton will no longer be RAF property.

Wittering has a lot going for it - not a majorly busy active base,room to accommodate the Red Arrows and their flying sessions, not that far away from where they are now, and the added benefit (from the point of view of those in Lincolnshire upset at losing them) - it isn't in Yorkshire!

Regarding proximity to the A1; Scampton is scarily close to the A15, which whilst not as busy as the A1, nonetheless carries a fairly heavy traffic load.