Another Mystery Photo

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Another Mystery Photo

Nice photos Coanda. I keep meaning to take my lad down to Weston Super Mud to have a look at the museum. Must do it this side of Armageddon! (An army surplus store near Worcester has sold 500 gasmasks in a week!!)

The answer to the mystery helicopter riddle is:

A Whilwind HAR10. It was being offloaded at Akrotiri, Cyprus in December '79 after travelling from Leaconfield.

Well done to those who guessed Whirlwind.

Scotty

Member for

24 years 2 months

well i still cant see it, esp the canopy, but hey RAA RAA and a round of applause to all those who guessed it, the next one??

coanda

Member for

24 years 2 months

One giveaway is the tail rotor bumper strut which you can see disconnected and masked up to save people hiting their head on it.

Member for

24 years 2 months

In the mystery airfield photo... Is an aircraft visible through the doors??

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well done to the Whirlwind spotters.

As for the hanger doors.....I can't see what's thru there as I don't have any imaging software on my work pc, one for a look at home, time permitting.

Anoth piccy - easier this time:

Scotty

http://ukmams-oba.lweb.net/IB87.jpg

Thanks to Tony at http://ukmams-oba.lweb.net/
and Ian Berry for the taking the photo in the first place.

Member for

24 years 2 months

pic wont open- thought i had seen doors like that before -are they not transport hangers-american ones, i think they are for starlifter types or similar, built for other aircraft but were found to be too small for the new generation airlifters the USAAF wanted to buy-so someone invested in a hacksaw-and bobs your fathers brother-hangars with holes in em. bet the airministry hadnt though of that when they bought the halifax-could have changed the course of history!!!!!

coanda

Member for

24 years 2 months

got pic now-wessex????

Member for

24 years 2 months

Is it??

:P

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm thinking Wessex too.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Reckon the big one's a Herc... ;-)

Member for

24 years 2 months

cant be a wessex, thats not how the tail rotor folds. bugger-unless the photos a mirror image of course!! lol but that cant be because the danger sign is the right way round, hmmmm tis a bit of a teaser this one. what can we see, its older RAF anyway-old battledress, and they employed mini's!! oh well lets see if we can write a list,

wessex
whirlwind
scout
wasp
any others you can think of off the top of your head that might apply???

wasp and scout are out because of two bladed tail rotor-wessex is out because of the way the tail rotor pylon seems to be folded, and whilwind is out because the tail rotor pylon doesnt fold! got me UKMAMS

coanda

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's gotta be a Wessex looking at those blades and the bump on the top of the pylon.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's a Mini van.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's a shame we can't see a bit of the fuselage!! Could it just be a Wessex tail?? Would a Wessex fit into the hold with the tail just folded?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Coanda - here's the giveaway bit - look at a Wessex photograph
and you will see that the 'Danger' markings are horizontal.
Next look at the mystery photo. If you look on the ramp you will
see a transportation stand attached to the tail rotor pylon assembly. Using that as a reference the tail pylon has been unbolted from the fuselage.
Looking at the aircraft it's in I cannot help thinking that
it's a Shorts Belfast as I don't think the Wessex fits the Herc
that well.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's amazing what gets people going here.

Ask a big question....

Put forward a big proposal....

And hardly anyone can be bothered to reply.....

Or else they don't reply because they really don't actually know anything about aviation history.

Someone gets their boring holiday snaps out....

And almost everyone knows the bloody answer....

Or they think they do....

Who bloody cares what's in the sodding picture....

GIVE ME STRENGTH......................!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like an old womens' coffee morning with the vicar here....

I'm surprised you lot aren't talking about the damn weather....

Or what the latest story in Eastenders is.....

Or what the royal family are up to this week....

Roll on the big ideas....I can't wait....

Member for

24 years 2 months

Fury - Aviation and the enthusiasm for it is a broad church - my
wife thinks these sites are sad but then again I think her cross-stitch sites are mind numbing so it takes all sorts.
You cannot force people in this world to be interested in things - the best thing is to rely on the people who are passionate about the subject.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Flypast Knitting Circle

Fury,
I think you are being a little harsh. There have been some long in-depth discussions about important issues here and a little light-hearted "What's In The Photo" does no harm. It takes a couple of seconds to put foward a suggestion for these.
Lets face it I expect everyone here stares skyward when something trundles over and try to identify it......

To add something to a more serious thread takes longer, needs a strong viewpoint and also some knowledge of that subject. I will stand up and admit that my understanding of the preservation scene is somewhat limited - I have views that would not help because they are pie-in-the-sky. I would be answered with "wake up and smell the coffee" remarks. Therefore I keep them to myself.

We are a broad church as David Burke stated. Some like to sing loudly and stand at the front. My singing is crap and if you were stood next to me you'd ask me to stop! Doesn't mean to say I don't enjoy the music (debate).

Now see what you've gone and done - you've made me reply to you. I've got to go and make some scones for the next Flypast Coffee Morning.......
;-)

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: The Flypast Knitting Circle

LAST EDITED ON 25-09-01 AT 11:12 AM (GMT)[p]Oh dear - I've upset someone. Sorry to cause offence by posting to your forum. If I'd have known it was a big boys club open to a handfull of regular posters I would have stayed as one of the silent majority who reads and doesn't post!

I might not be the world greatest aviation expert, sure I spent 5 years in the air cadets, 9 years in the RAF and read Flypast once a month, but I'll give it a go. How does showing photos of things you might not get to see elsewhere break the rules of a forum? A forum is a place to share and learn. The photos are in line with the spirit of Flypast, and I try to keep them varied.

The original post was sent at a time when there were not many other new topics being posted.

If you don't want to read a topic goto the next.

There's enough doom and gloom at the moment, lets stop and smile every now and again. Bysides it can't be that bad a posting with over 300 views, can it??

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Photo:

Yes it is a mini van.
Yes it is a Belfast.
Is it a Wessex? I don't know.
Is it a Lynx? I don't know.
Is it a Sea King? Possibly. Not sure if there are enough blades on the tail rotar.

That's why the photos were posted, to find out what the kit was.

Scotty

Must go, that'll be the vicar!

Member for

24 years 2 months

After having lokked in some books: i'd confirm that the Helicopter is a Wessex (Shape of the tail rotor), and the cargo plane a Belfast.

Frank