The Aeroplane magazine

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

6 years 11 months

I did try to add this previously but for some reason it failed to appear on the thread.

Key Publishing and/or its holding company own all rights to The Aeroplane (1911-1968), Aeroplane Monthly and Aeroplane.

The title and copyright for The Aeroplane (1911-1968) passed from Reed to IPC. Then, in 2010, IPC sold the title it then published - Aeroplane Monthly - and the rights to its previous incarnation - The Aeroplane (1911-1968) - to Kelsey Publishing. Kelsey sold its aviation and historical military portfolio to Key Publishing in late summer 2014.

The following is from a document that was publicly available at the time of the purchase by Key and lists the property/assets that were subject of the sale. I have deleted various titles etc to keep it relevant to the magazines being discussed.

From the document:

The following titles in printed, digital and online format:

1. Aeroplane Monthly
2-8. Deleted for brevity
11. The Aeroplane
12. Deleted for brevity

The following assets in respect of the titles listed above:

• All goodwill relating to the titles
• All intellectual property relating to the titles
• All logos, trade marks (including UK registered trade mark 2135993) and copyrights in connection with the titles and associated activities
• All websites and any other social media assets relating to the titles including associated accounts

• All rights in internet domains in connection with the titles including: Deleted for brevity

• All subscription details and all rights and obligations arising from subscriptions, save as otherwise provided in the Asset Purchase Agreement
• The commercial information relating to the titles
• All data relating to the titles
• All work in progress relating to future issues of the titles
• Back catalogue of editorial material for the titles
• The Archive Collection
• All design templates relating to the titles
• Stock including back issues of the titles and all books and other documents relating to the subject areas of aviation and military history (excluding military ship history)
• All marketing/promotional material relating to the titles
• Exclusive right to use these titles and the assets in the future

Deleted for brevity

Member for

6 years 11 months

I did try to add this previously but for some reason it failed to appear on the thread.

Key Publishing and/or its holding company own all rights to The Aeroplane (1911-1968), Aeroplane Monthly and Aeroplane.

The title and copyright for The Aeroplane (1911-1968) passed from Reed to IPC. Then, in 2010, IPC sold the title it then published - Aeroplane Monthly - and the rights to its previous incarnation - The Aeroplane (1911-1968) - to Kelsey Publishing. Kelsey sold its aviation and historical military portfolio to Key Publishing in late summer 2014.

The following is from a document that was publicly available at the time of the purchase by Key and lists the property/assets that were subject of the sale. I have deleted various titles etc to keep it relevant to the magazines being discussed.

From the document:

The following titles in printed, digital and online format:

1. Aeroplane Monthly
2-8. Deleted for brevity
11. The Aeroplane
12. Deleted for brevity

The following assets in respect of the titles listed above:

• All goodwill relating to the titles
• All intellectual property relating to the titles
• All logos, trade marks (including UK registered trade mark 2135993) and copyrights in connection with the titles and associated activities
• All websites and any other social media assets relating to the titles including associated accounts

• All rights in internet domains in connection with the titles including: Deleted for brevity

• All subscription details and all rights and obligations arising from subscriptions, save as otherwise provided in the Asset Purchase Agreement
• The commercial information relating to the titles
• All data relating to the titles
• All work in progress relating to future issues of the titles
• Back catalogue of editorial material for the titles
• The Archive Collection
• All design templates relating to the titles
• Stock including back issues of the titles and all books and other documents relating to the subject areas of aviation and military history (excluding military ship history)
• All marketing/promotional material relating to the titles
• Exclusive right to use these titles and the assets in the future

Deleted for brevity

Member for

16 years 7 months

Well, that seems to nail the copyright ownership issue conclusively - although there is still the issue of the extent to which the material contained in The Aeroplane is still in copyright.

Member for

16 years 2 months

There surely comes a point when these copyright issues descend into a near-reductio ad absurdum situation. If you applied it rigidly to very photo, article, advertisement maybe even the fonts nothing would ever get published. Everything submitted for inclusion in the original paper magazine was intended for broad distribution, extending that to online digital copies would surely be of no consequence except for the legally pedantic. If Key own the rights to the magazines, including in digital format, as stated above then it is just a lack of interest on their part that they are not scanned and made available. Yes, there is a cost involved but if their business accounts people see that as a concern they could either make access available by payment or take the Reed/Flight approach and see that there is benefit in the goodwill it produces, which has a monetry value albeit hard to assess.

Member for

16 years 7 months

I'd say that this issue is almost over - if not for the fact that the fat lady ain't yet sung!

Member for

16 years 2 months

I'm afraid you're right. There is no sign of interest from any of the senior Key people, several of whom monitor this forum.

Member for

5 years 7 months

interestinghttp://gshort.click/isna/11/o.png

Member for

16 years 2 months

Certainly it is incomplete and using the search function is very basic but I applaud them for choosing to spend the time and money on the venture. I access the online magazines almost daily. You are right that only a small fraction of those that buy Key's current crop of magazines would be interested in seeing The Aeroplane online and that narrow bottom-line thinking would rule out the expenditure but it would be nice to believe that some in the organisation would see value in supporting historical research and enthusiasts. Few of our museums would survive without enthusiastic volunteers and Key's magazines would be completely devoid of any articles of merit without authors prepared to make the effort for scant reward. Key see value in hosting this forum, we can only hope that they may see equal value in supporting future volunteers and authors by doing this.

Member for

15 years 7 months

At one point the Google Books project was doing deals with American magazine publishers and putting their historical content online, most famously the defunct Life Magazine and it's largely unpublished photo archive but also Flying Magazine* (aka Popular Aviation). I wonder what Google Books paid for the rights? (*Still published but under different ownership...perhaps the historical content was sold separately?)
I think the Flight Global Archive online is excellent but live in dread of it being withdrawn....

Member for

16 years 7 months

I believe that I'm correct in saying that just one individual at one gliding club, with access to a complete run of Sailplane & Gliding, took the bull by the horns and scanned and put S&G online. Maybe rather than imploring Key Publishing to do so, someone who can should take The Aeroplane bull by the horns and do the same. Either that or ask the Smithsonian Library to continue from where it left off in 1922?

Member for

16 years 7 months

Relocate to the USA?

Member for

17 years 8 months

I believe that the Flight photographic library went into private hands and some years ago I did have contact with the company. I also recall that they were being stored in an ex military bunker. Quite frankly scanning bound issues is a perfect pain as the damn things wont sit completely flat on the scanner bed.

John

Member for

16 years 7 months

Interestingly I believe that most of the copies of Les Ailes on the Bibliothèque nationale de France (Gallica) website came as bound volumes from Air France and this is evident from certain of the individual pages that one finds there. So I suspect that either there is the technology to scan bound volumes or the task can be achieved given the will, time and financial resources.