Jet Provost Brake fire at Bruntingthorpe

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

From my time in the military I recall hot brakes (not necessarily fires) were a fairly common event (my office was on the "crash phone" net so I received all the alerts).
But those were faster, heavier types than a JP.

Member for

6 years 2 months

Thank you Tony, I’ll look into that :-)

The last time I saw a brake fire, it was on a Rockwell B-1 in 2008. It took out lots of hyd fluid, caused the aircraft to steer into a blast wall where it lodged, the crew escaped and the aircraft and its war load (unarmed) went sky high! It was an impressive sight in the morning, a nose cone 4 engines a spar and that was all that remained recognisable amongst the charred remains. Luckily I was in the bar at the time, so well protected from anything painful!
The remains were buried in the desert later that week.
I never knew the identity. Happened in Al Udeid.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Spraying water directly onto a brake fire including burning oil is a bad thing, it can cause explosions. One of the things learned by professionals. Dry powder is recommended as an extinguishant of first choice.

I was taught the same in the RAF, but it changed as Dry Powder while snuffing out the fire does not remove the heat source, so it can re-ignite, a water mist is what they recommend these days, the photos I have you can see he is bouncing the jet off objects and the ground and not aiming directly at the source.

Same with CO2, it used to be recommended as an extinguisher for fuel fires in the RAF, but was subsequently dropped by the RAF after they found that it can cause a static spark and reignite the fire.

Member for

16 years 5 months

How does one day of gremlins suddenly become a liability?

Rob