Flying Mosquitoes!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

LAST EDITED ON 28-08-01 AT 10:33 AM (GMT)[p]LAST EDITED ON 28-08-01 AT 10:33 AM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON 28-08-01 AT 10:17 AM (GMT)

In the latest edition of The Mossie (the magazine of the Mosquito Aircrew Assoc.), there's an interesting article. In New Zealand, 3 flying Mosquitoes are going to built from scratch!
The person behind the project is Terry Logan. According to the article he's been in touch with Wanaka War Birds about construction. Meterials, such as spruce, balsa, Merlins etc. have already been sourced! The cost of this project is estimated to be US$4 million, so it's a fairly big operation.
It's a great pity no-one in the UK could have come up with such a project! I, for one, wish Terry every success & hope he, or someone in New Zealand, keeps us updated, on the progress of construction of this superb aeroplane.
Neilly

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Flying Mosquitoes!

Superb news! :) It would be great to see more Mossies airborne again.Let's hope that someone has the forsight to bring one to the UK.
With regards to UK Mossie projects,the Mosquito Museum at Salisbury Hall in London Colney have been carrying out NDT's (Non
Destructive Tests) on thier B.35 to discover whether it might be possible to return the aircraft to flyable condition.The initial results apparently look quite promising,but there is ofcourse the cash to consider.Fingers crossed for all concerned.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ant-it's looking very unlikely that any attempt will be made to operate this machine.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ok David,Thanks :(
In the long term,I suppose there is always TFC's T.III to look forward to...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes indeed. The TFC machine is probably the best candidate at present. The wing graft that is required is difficult but it has been explored and can be done. I too want to see another Mosi fly!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Whilst we're on this subject,it makes you wonder what on earth inspired the IWM to chop the wing off in the first place.I know it was done as a space-saving measure,but it simply makes no sense to dismember an exhibit purely for display.Crazy times...
Makes you realise just how far the preservation scene has come!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Real pity, if it's true about TA634.
Wouldn't the BBMF want it to replace RR299 that was going to be donated by BAe it it hadn't crashed ?

The last I heard of TFC's Mossie was that they were not going to mess about repairing the main spar, they would just go ahead and build a brand new one instead, makes more sense IMHO.
Big job which ever route they take though, and likely to be at least 5/6 years away from flying and probably quite a bit longer than that. Although I hope not.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Wern't Mossie wings built as single piece units anyway? If so, thats a complete new wing assembly to build, but then again, it should be an easier undertaking than the creation of new build fusealages, and that's being done 'down under'. I think 5-6 years is being somewhat optimistic though, with all their other projects on the go! On the subject of long term rebuilds; many warbird collections have significant airframes stored pending restoration, but will the majority ever see air under there wings again, unless investment is made in re-manufaturing powerplants I think not. The warbird industry does seem reluctant to do this for some reason.
And what about the fuel situation? I remember the BBMF being quoted after the Lanc re-spar that, she was now fatigue lifed beyond the projected availabity of appropiate avgas, and it'll be that situation that'll ground her rather than lack of parts.
So, any rebuilds that are 10 or more years away from flying ....... may not!!
Would be interested to know what the fuel companies would say on this matter.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I must say, that having been involved with Mossies for a long time now, I can't in all honesty see anyone building a number of them from scratch, unless there is a lot of funding available! Remember that Glynn Powell has been working on his project for 10yrs plus now, and has so far built (a very nice) static fuselage, albeit it is not a full time project.

Anyway, TA634 taught us some important lessons about Mosquito's. We can carry out a fairly sophisticated NDT programme on the airframes, and determine the state of overall bonding of the airframe. We can't however determine the strength of the glue joints, and this is a major problem. TA634 proved to be in good overall condition, and it will probably receive a further check in due course to make sure that it is not deteriorating.

The Museum is now moving its attentions to the prototype Mosquito and to the FB6, both of which are now under active restoration. The FB6 is primarily being done by museum volunteers, and we are hoping that by use of industry and through corporate sponsorship, that the prototype will be professionally restored, with assistance from museum volunteers. So far, BAe, Marshalls, Rolls Royce and Deltair are involved. If your company would like to be involved with this significant project, then let me know! The engines are now at Rolls Royce for rebuild, and we are keen to find sponsors for other parts of the airframe.

If anyone can help, then let me know!

Kind regards

Bruce

Member for

24 years 3 months

Last I heard, TFC weren't planning to start on the Mossie until their Beaufighter is completed, and she's at least another 5 years from completion. Bearing in mind the Beau will have taken a good 10-11 years by then, I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll see an airworthy Mossie in the UK within this decade. Unless the new owner of Ed Zaleski's Mossie (currently being re-built in Canada) can be persuaded to bring it across the pond for a season? (Wishful thinking!)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes I was being a bit over-optomistic, but I didn't want to be the one to say that we wouldn't see it fly for many many years.
:-)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Don't worry, we don't shoot messengers here... :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I know it is academic now...but was BAe going to donate RR299 to the BBMF? I had never heard that said before Fury said so. It would have been interesting if they had.

Regarding the TFC example, there is apparently a recognised repair scheme for regrafting the cut off wing. But as others have said, TFC will not be doing that, instead opting for 'new'. Good idea.

As the first real composite, and a true MRCA, I long for the return to our skies (or any skies!!) of a Mossie. Pity the other best contender went to the US.

Member for

24 years 3 months

>I know it is academic now...but
>was BAe going to donate
>RR299 to the BBMF? I
>had never heard that said
>before Fury said so. It
>would have been interesting if
>they had.

That is what I read somewhere recently, but for the life of me I can't remember where, although like everything you read you have to be aware that it might not be the whole truth.
At the end of that season it was due to be donated to the BBMF.
If you remember ,BAe had been looking round for an operator to take it on, and apparently they approached the major operators at Duxford.
I never heard another word about it though, but I always wondered how far the negotiations got, presumably not far if the proposed donation to the BBMF was true.
Would have been really nice if it had happened.

Member for

24 years 3 months

You might have read it on the now defunct WW forum as I mentioned it a while back in a post on Mossies. I first read about it about 18 months ago in a transcript of a lecture given by Paul Day, about the BBMF. This was published on the excellent f4aviation website. See link for the article.

http://www.f4aviation.co.uk/Hangar/bbmf/bbmf.htm

Incidently, as regards the previous post, TWO examples went to the USA. Don't forget that the USAF Museum's example was flown across to the USA a few years before Kermit Weeks example followed, by the same George Ellis, I believe. There was an article on the ferrying of the USAF Museum B.35 in an early (about 13-14 years ago!) edition of Warbirds Worldwide.

Very sadly, I personally I think the chances of ever seeing a Mossie in UK skies again are very slim indeed, unless I win £5 million plus on the lottery!!!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Graham.

Yes it probably was at the WW forum I read about it.
Thanks for the link to f4 as well, it's always interesting to read interviews with Paul Day, being THE MASTER as he is.

Interesting also that he doesn't feel the need to fly other types like the Mustang, but then I suppose he is happy and contented with what he has, with that contentment coming from being one of the best at what he does, and who wouldn't be happy and contented with FIVE Spitfires and TWO Hurricanes to play with over 21 years !
I will be fascinating to see what he does when he eventually leaves the RAF, fly for TFC maybe ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanx chaps for the info on RR299. Cannot help but think what could have been....oh well.

I had forgotten the other Mossie.

I kick myself now that I did not attend more airshows that the Mossie did...and the P38...just goes to show the old adage about not really appreciating something til it has gone.

Incidentally, my Grandfather's station flight at the end of the war included a Mosquito B6, B35, Hornet, Spit IX, Spit XVI, Proctor and Auster. He had some fun. Apparently my Mum, aged 3, got a ride in the Mossie...lucky.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It is true about the mosquito, I was lucky enought ot do work experience at Bae Hawarden, and met a few people who used to work on her. The earlier this year i was lucky enough to have a VIP visit to the BBMF, and we got chattin, and the man (Sqn leader Hawkins (i think he was a sqn ldr) confirmed that it was going to the BBMF at the end of the season.