On the Telly....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

'Timewatch-The Bombing of Germany' is being shown on BBC2 TONIGHT at 9.00pm BST.The programme covers Bomber Command's operations generally throughout WW2,and focuses on the last year of the war in particular (Dresden particularly).
Hopefully it will be interesting rathar than sensationalistic.
(Sorry about the short notice)

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: On the Telly....

lol am at work then!! nevermind, wouldnt mind a round up tho!!

coanda:7

Member for

24 years 2 months

its 10:41 - damn i knew i missied something.

merde

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well, I watched with interest. The program itself was interesting and well informed up to a point, but I can't help feeling that they missed the point, ably put forward by two ex 5 Group aircrew, that we were fighting a war and any means of ending the war with the loss of the fewest lives on the Allied side was a good means. Hindsight can be a double edged sword and was rightfully said, most of the casualties were civilians, but they were civilians who supported and worked for and in the mechanism which allowed Germany to wage war against the Allies and, as such, are at the very least, casualties of war in the truest sense. The overly PC approach to the events of fifty years ago by people who did not live through it really gets up my pipe; we cannot judge events which took place during a "total" war by modern day standards of behaviour. All of the casualites of the second world war were regretable; I can't imagine that anyone could think differently and the world would be a different place had the war not happened, but it did and to go carping on about 5,500 casualties in a war which killed over 20 millions is pedantic in the extreme and derides and diminishes the sacrifice made by the young men of the Allied airforces in the process of ridding the world of a tyranical regime. Why do we continue to appologise for prosecuting a war in a way which may have blurred the edges of aceptable behaviour? Surely that is why we eventually prevailed.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I agree.

It was an interesting programme, and rather better than I expected it to be, given the revisionist history that too many people seem to prefer nowadays.

Of course , the death of anyone during a war is a tragedy, apart from those who were brutal beyond words to other people, but who started it, we didn't, we fought to stop the brutality and now our Heroes are slagged off mercilessly by these misguided do-gooders.

Would they have preferred it that we hadn't fought back, and just let Hitler,Mussolini,Tojo etc and their successors have their wicked way with the world for ever and a day ?
Actually I am sure they would not hesitate to fight back today if their own homes or families were threatened ...even if by a burglar, so why do they blame the people back then for fighting ,sometimes ,neccessarily ,in not such a nice way?

Nasty things happen in wars, on all sides, even the "good" side, sometimes the men just become sickened by the absolute mindless slaughter and fight back at anyone, anyhow ,even if it sometimes isn't considered "The Done Thing".

Except for the chidren, those German civilians who were killed by our side, were the same ones who had stood by for years and said nothing while Jews, Gypsies, Disabled etc etc etc etc were persecuted and then shipped off to the ovens, so why I ask should we feel sorry for them......did they feel sorry for all the little children that were worked, beaten ,starved etc etc etc etc to death by there own men/women folk......somehow I think not.

If someone starts a vicious war, and you have a chance to stop it, then you might as well stop it in a spectacular fashion by bombing the s**t out of them......either with conventional bombs or a nuclear bomb......doesn't matter which, they both have the same end result........THEY STOPPED THE WAR.......

FURY