Blenheim identities & history

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have found this old pic that came from a late relative. Anyone know any a/c history, squadrons, bases, crews etc?

L1131
L1108 'W'
L1113 'Z'

I reckon they are very early war or late peacetime with the single letter regisitration & the hi-vis roundels.

Hope someone can help!

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

pics

see pic

Member for

20 years 8 months

TomB,

L1131 served with 82 & 62 sqdns, missing 4.4.40. Sorry, can't find anything re the cause of it's loss, or the crews names.

L1108 served only with 62 sqdn, crashed on overshoot, hit Watch Office, West Freugh, 14.11.38

L1113 served with A&AEE, 62, 82, 57, 229 & 219 sqdns, and was abandoned nr Ewhurst, Hastings, Sussex, 12.10.40.

Photos must therefore have been taken on 62 sqdn, before 14.11.38.

I don't know if there is a website that could help you, otherwise it's down to Kew I'm afraid, and the 62 sqdn Operations Record Book. The 62 sqdn association has closed it's doors. You could try the Blenheim Society (betty.blenheim@tesco.net)

You could always get the RAFM to send you photocopies of the Aircraft Movement Card (AM Form 78) for these three aircraft. They will tell you when they were taken on charge & where, what dates they joined the squadrons, and the dates of any accidents. For the latter you can you can get Hendon to send you the relevant Accident Record Card (AM Form 1180) for details of the accident.

Hope this is some help.

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 7 months

TomB,

I can offer the following information on the three Blenheims you mention:

L1108 Mk I. Served with 62 Squadron. 14/11/38 with 62 Squadron at Cranfield and damaged beyond repair when it crashed on overshoot at West Freugh and skidded into the watch office. Crew details unknown.

L1131 Mk I. Served with 82 and 62 Squadrons. 04/04/40 with 62 Squadron at Tengah and ditched in the sea 83 miles west of Penang when an engine cut. F/O C.Boxall, Sgt Podger and LAC Martin were rescued.

L1113 Mk I. Served with AAEE; 62, 82, 57, 229 and 219 Squadrons. 12/10/40 with 219 Squadron at Redhill as a Mk If and experienced unusual engine vibration during a routine night patrol. The engines were throttled back as a precaution causing a high-speed stall. The aircraft crashed at Court Lodge Farm, Ewhurst, Hastings, Sussex at 2140 hours. Sgt G.M.Mead baled out unhurt but P/O R.V.Baron was killed when his parachute failed to open.

The photograph must have been taken in England while they were all with 62 Squadron before that unit left for the Far East in August 1939.

I hope this is of use to you.

Member for

20 years 7 months

For the best information on Blenheims buy Graham Warners book
'The Bristol Blenheim A complete History' from Crecy publishers
http://www.crecy.co.uk/

Part of the purchase price goes to the Blenheim, and unfortunately they need it now more than ever.